Strange request - maybe scam?

chiara_2712

Good evening. I'm writing because I've just received a strange request: a person write me to ask if i could translate an academic article from english to italian (and it's ok), mede of 44 pages, and want me to do it in 3 days for 3000€. I asked to see a little part of it so i could evaluate everything considering the size of words, so she sent me one page of it and i saw that it is a book that it's already been translated in italian.
I asked why she want me to re-translate it in italian and i'm waiting for a response. What do you think about it? It seems really strange to me and i don't know if i can trust her or not. Thank you so much, I'm new here.

P.S: another man's just written me to ask if i can translate 100 pages from english to italian doing 25 dollars per page, so he will pay 2500 dollars. They're all scam??

Edited by chiara_2712
  • Like 4

Im on my phone, so I dont have a way to open your seller profile. But im gonna assume that you're new?

Apologies in advance if you're not.

Well they both sound like good deals. Too good to be true? Idk maybe.. maybe not.

What's great about this platform is that it takes the guess work out of it.

You are safe as long as you follow the official order process.

1. Buyer places order with you paying in advance.

2. Fiverr is will take the place of an escrow/mediator and hold on to the money till you and the buyer comes to an agreement that you have completed the task.

3. You work on the task, finish it, and get approval from the buyer that the work is satisfactory. They will review and mark the order as "completed" after you deliver the final deliverables.

4. Your payment will be cleared in 2 weeks.

One thing to point out here though is that there are ways buyers could take advantage of this system as much as sellers. So I encourage you to go ahead and review gigs of top rated / pro sellers of your industry to see what kind of phrases they have in their gig packages, descriptions, and faq sections to protect them from such clients.

Common mistakes are "unlimited revisions" "money back guarantee" "24/7 support" etc.

Go ahead and review support articles pertaining to new sellers as well to get yourself familiar with this process.

Especially the one regarding "malware and phishing attacks" (important).

Good Luck!

Edited by creative_howl
  • Like 4
  • Up 2

7 minutes ago, creative_howl said:

Im on my phone, so I dont have a way to open your seller profile. But im gonna assume that you're new?

Apologies in advance if you're not.

Well they both sound like good deals. Too good to be true? Idk maybe.. maybe not.

What's great about this platform is that it takes the guess work out of it.

You are safe as long as you follow the official order process.

1. Buyer places order with you paying in advance.

2. Fiverr is will take the place of an escrow/mediator and hold on to the money till you and the buyer comes to an agreement that you have completed the task.

3. You work on the task, finish it, and get approval from the buyer that the work is satisfactory. They will review and mark the order as "completed" after you deliver the final deliverables.

4. Your payment will be cleared in 2 weeks.

One thing to point out here though is that there are ways buyers could take advantage of this system as much as sellers. So I encourage you to go ahead and review gigs of top rated / pro sellers of your industry to see what kind of phrases they have in their gig packages, descriptions, and faq sections to protect them from such clients.

Common mistakes are "unlimited revisions" "money back guarantee" "24/7 support" etc.

Go ahead and review support articles pertaining to new sellers as well to get yourself familiar with this process.

Especially the one regarding "malware and phishing attacks" (important).

Good Luck!

Thank you so much for the answer and all the tips! (Yes i'm new, just created the account today).

I will certainly follow all of them to be sure. It just feels strange to me that two person, in that short time, wrote me to ask to translate something for that amount of money.
The second one ask me my email to let me see the document in advance (i asked him to), but I told him I don't share personal info and he said he doesn't know fiverr policies against sharing email between sellers and buyers and that the document is not published yes. Do you think I can trust him and send him my email or not? (sorry for all the question but i'm not that sure)

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, chiara_2712 said:

Thank you so much for the answer and all the tips! (Yes i'm new, just created the account today).

I will certainly follow all of them to be sure. It just feels strange to me that two person, in that short time, wrote me to ask to translate something for that amount of money.
The second one ask me my email to let me see the document in advance (i asked him to), but I told him I don't share personal info and he said he doesn't know fiverr policies against sharing email between sellers and buyers and that the document is not published yes. Do you think I can trust him and send him my email or not? (sorry for all the question but i'm not that sure)

No problem. 

If you just created your account today, there's a high chance that its a scammer.

You definitely should read that support article I mentioned before (malware and phishing attacks) talking to anyone to make sure you understand how to spot scammers.

Never share any personal information with them and communicate to them via emails etc. They'll send you a website similar to fiverr and get you to add your card information or bank information. And then you know what happens next.

On a side note: go ahead and report the ones who asked to share your email so that their account will get removed.

https://help.fiverr.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010978898-Keeping-your-account-safe-from-malware-and-phishing

Edited by creative_howl
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, creative_howl said:

No problem. 

If you just created your account today, there's a high chance that its a scammer.

You definitely should read that support article I mentioned before (malware and phishing attacks) talking to anyone to make sure you understand how to spot scammers.

Never share any personal information with them and communicate to them via emails etc. They'll send you a website similar to fiverr and get you to add your card information or bank information. And then you know what happens next.

On a side note: go ahead and report the ones who asked to share your email so that their account will get removed.

https://help.fiverr.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010978898-Keeping-your-account-safe-from-malware-and-phishing

Just read it!

I decline both works, I don't trust them.

Thank you so much again, have a great day!

• Like 6

Hello to everyone, I just wanted to share this experience I've just had few couple of hours ago, so to start the new metod scammers look to confuse newbies is by making them believe that they're actually real people and not just copypasted messages, the type of framework we all know, "we just came across your gig and we require so so people to do so so work so contact us in te'le g R a M or whatever else and kindly wait for your message." yeah, they even have real names or even real pictures in their profiles, but I think you can realise if it's fake by looking his active time on fiverr, because generally they all share that they joined in this very month. Well, I recently came across one of these accounts in which they asked me to do a job related to my offer, so they asked me to do such amount in such time, with such sum of payment, a generous sum indeed (a tactic very used by spammers), then I made an offer, and they answered me that they could not asnwer it or accept it (or denying it), and that if they could choose another means of communication (which for security of fiverr is not allowed), naturally I did not accept. That is my story, I would like to share it with you, so that you do not fall into scams, message is that spammers are always looking news ways to capt newbies by making them believe they are real, so please my message to you is to stay sceptic and always ask for more information, the more the better, thank you. 

Capturadepantalla2024-07-23203707.png.ab5e9944a019a464a9702d30f8c0eb6f.png

Capturadepantalla2024-07-23203728.png.281f0b2da2a9558f9fc7f121ac90acab.png

Capturadepantalla2024-07-23203748.png.3166538f26c62d4259fa292e29b66604.png

• Like 4
  • Up 1

15 hours ago, chiara_2712 said:

Good evening. I'm writing because I've just received a strange request: a person write me to ask if i could translate an academic article from english to italian (and it's ok), mede of 44 pages, and want me to do it in 3 days for 3000€. I asked to see a little part of it so i could evaluate everything considering the size of words, so she sent me one page of it and i saw that it is a book that it's already been translated in italian.
I asked why she want me to re-translate it in italian and i'm waiting for a response. What do you think about it? It seems really strange to me and i don't know if i can trust her or not. Thank you so much, I'm new here.

P.S: another man's just written me to ask if i can translate 100 pages from english to italian doing 25 dollars per page, so he will pay 2500 dollars. They're all scam??

Both are scams. Try to read Fiverr's Terms of Service and Community Standards since you are new. 

• Like 4

I met the very same request. Someone asked me to translate a book (44 pages) related to astronomy with a project value of €2,820, and showed me one page of it. After I agreed to take the task, she started to ask for my mail address.

Edited by alexfan07
  • Like 2

Bonjour,

Je viens vers vous car je pense aussi avoir été victime d’une arnaque j’aimerais savoir si c’est le cas.

en effet quelqu’un m’a envoyé un message pour me dire qu’il avait payé mes services mais que pour valider sa commande il lui fallait mon adresse mail, je lui ai donné.

etant ma première commande je ne connais rien à la plate-forme, la personne m’a donc dit de cliquer sur le mail reçu par mail qui ressemble à un lien de fiverr me demandant pour ma première commande d’entrer mes informations bancaires et de confirmer dans mon application bancaire…

arnaque ou processus fiverr normal?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, finestra_travel said:

Bonjour,

Je viens vers vous car je pense aussi avoir été victime d’une arnaque j’aimerais savoir si c’est le cas.

en effet quelqu’un m’a envoyé un message pour me dire qu’il avait payé mes services mais que pour valider sa commande il lui fallait mon adresse mail, je lui ai donné.

etant ma première commande je ne connais rien à la plate-forme, la personne m’a donc dit de cliquer sur le mail reçu par mail qui ressemble à un lien de fiverr me demandant pour ma première commande d’entrer mes informations bancaires et de confirmer dans mon application bancaire…

Il s'agit d'une escroquerie.

• Like 2
  • Up 2

1 hour ago, finestra_travel said:

Arnaque. Vous pouvez signaler le message que vous avez recu. En effet, la plupart des cibles de ces arnaqueurs sont les nouveaux venue. Et partager ces informations personnelle est contre la condition generale d'utilisation. Donc il faut etre prudent. 

Une chose aussi, on utilise l'Anglais sur le forum pour que les autres puisse vous repondre aussi.

Edited by michmikaia
more polite
  • Like 2