Does anyone know someone who lives in a "tiny home"?

jimkernicky

First off, I thought this forum was to talk about anything. If that is the purpose, why are there so many posts about Fiverr? I'm just curious on that.

Anyway, I'm looking into buying a small plot of land and getting a tiny home delivered. I would prefer to build a log cabin but I have no idea how to do that. I would love to get some insight on anyone who has done that.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Not a tiny-home owner at the moment, but my wife and I have looked into this several times. It's a fun option for those of us who live more of our lives outside than in. 

Are you just looking for permanent tiny-home structures, or have you consider THOW (tiny homes on wheels)? The permanent structure is, well, more permanent, but with that comes certain tax obligations and other requirements, vs having a tiny home on wheels which does not necessarily count as a dwelling in the traditional sense when it comes to taxation and land valuation. The only downside is that THOWs aren't necessarily allowed everywhere in the US for one reason or another, even as ADUs (accessory dwelling units).

If you're only interested in more permanent tiny homes, like a small cabin, you'll want to take into consideration the costs of setting a foundation and running more permanent electricity and water utilities (whether city water or a well), which can add up pretty darn quick depending on your land and your build location on that land.

Edited by texvox
  • Like 6

I don't personally own or live in a "tiny home" but I see that as a trend in North America (and perhaps elsewhere) in recent years in particular, along with "homesteading" and "survivalism" -- off-grid lifestyle by choice. 

Lower costs notwithstanding, "tiny homes" seem to fit into the paradigm of "simplifying one's life" -- getting back to basic home economics, "back to nature", "self-sufficiency", and so forth. These are all great ideas, if you have the right mindset and right skill sets to make them work for you.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2024 at 5:13 PM, mandyzines said:

I've looked into at and at least where I live it's less expensive to pay someone to construct a kit carport and add everything needed to it.

I was thinking that it would be easier to get something like a 12x20 pre-built and delivered. I think I could afford that.

• Like 5

On 6/3/2024 at 8:56 PM, mark_sgp said:

Lower costs notwithstanding, "tiny homes" seem to fit into the paradigm of "simplifying one's life" -- getting back to basic home economics, "back to nature", "self-sufficiency", and so forth. These are all great ideas, if you have the right mindset and right skill sets to make them work for you.

Exactly. I can live with less things and less space. Plus I would get a carpenter to put an extension on the home making it larger. And a small shed and other buildings for anything t hat I do not need in the home.

• Like 4