Is AI killing your work?

Animators on Fiverr - how has AI impacted you?

Fiverr embraces AI-generated content, providing you have all the rights to use the content - and definitely not fake stuff!

Animators:

1. are you using AI in your work?

2. has AI negatively impacted your work?

• Like 4

I think the biggest issue with AI is that you can't copyright claim it, especially art. Here's what the AI told me about AI created art🤪. So I have an AI concept art gig that I've been trying to establish. I don't want to do it (I do logo design on fiverr) but graphic design on fiverr is such a crowded market. If you ever want to be a pro or TRS in the design field you have to go the AI artist route as it's the only one with open spots left. 

Capture.PNG

Edited by dereck_s
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/1/2024 at 6:06 AM, khalifacyrusuk said:

That's hilarious - so....no one has the rights to AI-generated work technically? Is it the same globally ??

Not sure but honestly western markets are the important ones regarding copyright. 

• Like 2

Just now, dereck_s said:

Not sure but honestly western markets are the important ones regarding copyright. 

Ok! It's also a little confusing that it says "no human input" - because surely the prompts that you enter should class as "human imput"? Anyway, super interesting thank you for sharing!

2 minutes ago, khalifacyrusuk said:

Ok! It's also a little confusing that it says "no human input" - because surely the prompts that you enter should class as "human imput"? Anyway, super interesting thank you for sharing!

The law is pretty clear in this matter. You cannot own AI works whether it's your prompts or not.

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, khalifacyrusuk said:

because surely the prompts that you enter should class as "human imput"?

In their letter refusing copyright to an image called "Théâtre D’opéra Spatial", the copyright review board of the US copyright office said:

The Board acknowledges that the process of prompting can involve creativity—after all, “some prompts may be sufficiently creative to be protected by copyright” as literary works.

thought the person who created the image using Midjourney + later editing etc. whose work was later refused copyright didn't let them know what prompts were used so they couldn't make a decision about whether they were sufficiently creative.

It might have been able to be copyrightable by the US copyright office if edited if the person is willing to "to disclaim the AI-generated material" (based on that letter of theirs - if the AI generated part is more than minimal). Though I don't think it makes clear how that's supposed to be done (eg. are people supposed to show an image of what the AI created + their edited version + descriptions of what they did?).

Fiverr should really put something on their site, including for buyers in the AI generated content section explaining the copyright situation since it doesn't really mention that on the main site (except for in the community standards page but that doesn't mention that AI generated content can't be copyrighted (in the US).  I'd thought it could with sufficient human changes but maybe it's just the edits that can be copyrighted.

The copyright office also reference a quote saying:

the “key” to copyright protection is “[h]uman involvement in, and ultimate creative control over, the work at issue”).

but surely there could be just as much or more creative control in AI art generation as some other types. eg. someone taking a photo of wildlife doesn't have much control over what's happening and if someone threw paint at a canvas that painting would be copyrightable but the painter didn't have full control over where each paint droplet went. Whereas with AI you have some control, eg. you should often be able to recreate it if knowing the full parameters used including the random number seed. You could also guide it more than just entering prompts.

And since AI content could be used somewhere in the process of delivering an order in sections other than the AI section of the site, and Fiverr changed the terms to say buyers must specify if they don't want it used instead of the seller disclosing if it is used, Fiverr should really put more info about it if it will affect the copyright of the buyer's finished work.

Edited by uk1000