Sellers canceling orders

ncaaref

Hi I have purchased from 5 or 6 different people advertising that they will give 10 feedback on eBay from 10 Different accounts. Everyone of them has asked me to cancel the order because they could not deliver. They should not advertise this if they cant deliver? Do I have any recourse here? this is very frustrating.

Sadly when they cannot deliver, they will request a mutual cancellation. If you find this unacceptable, you could wait for the timer to run out and cancel it, as far as I know. This will cancel the order and places automatic negative feedback on their account that they failed to deliver on time. This may prevent them from doing this too often as it hurts their credibility.

In any case, you will only receive Fiverr credit as a refund, to put towards purchasing another Gig.

Fiverr is only an intermediary, and any conflicts between buyers and sellers should be handled between them where possible before Customer Service gets involved.

Careful with placing negative feedback.

It is possible to Google buyers, and sellers may refuse to work with you if they see you left a lot of negative feedback, because they will fear you would harm their reputation, too.

It’s always useful to message sellers before ordering the gig. Tell them what you need and ask them if they can actually do it. That way it’s less likely they’ll cancel because they can’t deliver.

Reply to @catwriter: There’s no problem with dropping actual negative feedback for proper misperformance. After all, that’s what the system is for. Sellers might avoid you, but only if they are lacking in confidence regarding their ability to perform the requested Gig - which is exactly what it should do.

If you doubt whether you can do a given Gig or not, you might be tempted to chance it, because you want that money. But if a buyer has been critical in the past, it means only those who are sure of themselves will reply. This will also improve the quality of people’s offered Gigs, and remove weak or fraudulent sellers who want to earn a quick buck but cannot actually deliver on what they offer.

Yes, you should always communicate with each other first - I am all for that. If a seller is genuinely unable to perform a Gig because they are very busy - no problem. But if it is a recurring problem, especially with the same seller, feel free to thumbs-down. That’s exactly what the system is for.

laughingcrow said: This will cancel the order and places automatic negative feedback on their account that they failed to deliver on time.

Bad advise. Since the buyer can rate you as well, every seller checks google to see buyers rating (feedback). If negative, most sellers will not want to work with a buyer who has negative feedback no more than you would want to work with a seller who has negative feedback.

Well the problem i have is if someone offers to give 10 feedback from 10 different accounts and all you have to do is provide them with the link to 10 items and you do what is required, and then they want to cancel without any explanation.

Reply to @steveeyes: See my comment above. Also, I worked recently with a seller who has given negative feedback about someone else not delivering on time (auto-response). I didn’t find that scary in the least.

Maybe it scares away those who are unsure of themselves, or who want to protect their ratings above all, but there are enough people doing the same Gigs.

So my advice is:

1. Make sure you can do the Gig or don’t offer
  2. If circumstances cause you to fail delivery, communicate first, then cancel mutually if possible
  3. If all else fails, drop negative feedback to warn other buyers and discourage fraudulent or incapable sellers

Feedback systems are there to be used then it’s fair and justified. I am not saying drop negative feedback without cause - but when someone consistently underperforms, that’s what the system is for.

Edit; Also when googling a person on Fiverr, you don’t just see their feedback received but also given. When you see both, it gives context. If I see a seller who gives 1-star bad feedback to a buyer who says “person didn’t deliver on time” I generally just ignore it as a spite feedback-loop.

Reply to @ncaaref: If a buyer wants to cancel after the work has already been delivered I wouldn’t accept that unless they could show that they didn’t get what they ordered. Else they’d simply get work done for free. That also isn’t right.

This is the time to then communicate with them about why they’d want to cancel after the work is done. As a seller, you can refuse a mutual cancellation, and contact Customer Service if you believe you are being pushed or blackmailed to do work for free or do more work than was ordered.

They will then sort it out with the buyer - but keep trying to communicate, and don’t accept a mutual cancellation since then you’re basically done.

Reply to @laughingcrow: I’m not saying you don’t have some valid points but not everyone is going to follow your lead. If anything, more and more sellers are shying away from anyone who gives negative feedback. The question of if they deserved that negative feedback may vary from buyer to buyer. So what does a seller do? He researches and if he sees the buyer gave a negative feedback when all other buyers gave a positive feedback, he may think twice before working with that buyer.

So like you said, feedback systems are there to be used, consequently a seller may use them to evaluate the risks of working with a buyer. Just like a buyer uses them to evaluate if they will buy from a seller.

Archived