Would you lower or even drop Commercial rights in return for steady business from a Buyer?

ukbritishvoice

I'm wondering, as the Title of this post says, if you would  lower or even drop Commercial rights in return for steady business from a Buyer?

I've been contacted by someone who may  need me to voice-over up to 5 short videos a week and 1 or 2 long-form videos a month.

Is it appropriate to demand commercial rights for each and every piece of work, or would you sweeten the deal by lowering the commercial rights, or even sometimes dropping them, given the volume of work?

What do you think, based on your own experience?

ukbritishvoice

• Like 5

It largely depends on how much you want or need to work with the buyer. You are certainly within your rights to ask for commercial rights and, from what I gather, it is standard practice. If the buyer has worked in this area, they will be expecting it.

Have you worked with this buyer before? Because my immediate question would be - if you lower the price, are you guaranteed the long term work? I would consider negotiating with the buyer - say they pay the standard rate for the first two or three jobs, and you'll lower prices for the remainder of the work.

• Like 5

That's great Shaun. 
I haven't worked with this Buyer before.
Like a lot (most) of them, she has not really considered the need for commercial rights, so I've had to explain the whole thing. 
It's a good point about the hazy nature of the promise of long-term work. 
Your negotiating tactic is a good one, bearing everything in mind...
Thanks!

• Like 5