Learn from my mistake!

donhopkin

@donhopkin I’m probably being a little dense here, but what exactly was it that you did that violated the ToS? Was it just providing work to a site that is a look-alike? Was that site a competitor of Fiverr’s or something? A bit confused… That doesn’t seem worth destroying someone’s entire account. I could see them maybe putting you on some kind of probation or just removing that gig, but limiting your entire account? What ever happened to firing a warning shot?

I know I’m new to selling here, but the more and more I read it seems like absolutely anything you do or offer on here can violate the ToS in some way. I really don’t get it, especially when I seem some of the gigs and sellers that are able to get away with murder…

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you do a search on the net for “Banned By Fiverr” you will see this persons experience is VERY common. I have read of many who either built their own clone and then used Fiverr Gigs to try and promote it and got banned, or, they promoted clones and got banned.

Unfortunately, most of them thought they could do a “work around” and just create new Gigs and start over… well, what happened is they would get to work anywhere from a few days to a few months and then their Gigs would be banned again for trying to circumvent the service by coming back. Their money was put on hold for 120 days (I can’t exactly remember the time frame) and they were back to square one.

They also did not get any help from Fiverr support as to explaining they “didn’t know” and that they wouldn’t break the TOS again. Their Gigs were cancelled and that was that.

If you like to gamble, I guess you could recreate your Gigs, but, don’t be surprised when Fiverr figures out you are the same person who they banned. They don’t take lightly those who promote what is essentially a competing site. No site would. I am sure this was a completely ignorant mistake on your part and you didn’t mean to break any rule, but, they are stiff on this. Do a search, you will find a ton of forums that discuss getting kicked off of Fiverr.

Another way to get kicked off is try to circumvent their system and get the clients email address or any other way to take them off the platform.

Most likely, your tenure here has ended, and that sucks after so much hard work and being Level 2. You could always join those clones (although I have read they don’t get the traffic/orders Fiverr does) or you could attempt to offer your services via your own website.

Sorry to hear about your issues, but, they are tough on those who break their TOS. I would say it is akin to zero tolerance.

Juli

If you do a search on the net for “Banned By Fiverr” you will see this persons experience is VERY common. I have read of many who either built their own clone and then used Fiverr Gigs to try and promote it and got banned, or, they promoted clones and got banned.

Unfortunately, most of them thought they could do a “work around” and just create new Gigs and start over… well, what happened is they would get to work anywhere from a few days to a few months and then their Gigs would be banned again for trying to circumvent the service by coming back. Their money was put on hold for 120 days (I can’t exactly remember the time frame) and they were back to square one.

They also did not get any help from Fiverr support as to explaining they “didn’t know” and that they wouldn’t break the TOS again. Their Gigs were cancelled and that was that.

If you like to gamble, I guess you could recreate your Gigs, but, don’t be surprised when Fiverr figures out you are the same person who they banned. They don’t take lightly those who promote what is essentially a competing site. No site would. I am sure this was a completely ignorant mistake on your part and you didn’t mean to break any rule, but, they are stiff on this. Do a search, you will find a ton of forums that discuss getting kicked off of Fiverr.

Another way to get kicked off is try to circumvent their system and get the clients email address or any other way to take them off the platform.

Most likely, your tenure here has ended, and that sucks after so much hard work and being Level 2. You could always join those clones (although I have read they don’t get the traffic/orders Fiverr does) or you could attempt to offer your services via your own website.

Sorry to hear about your issues, but, they are tough on those who break their TOS. I would say it is akin to zero tolerance.

Juli

So I’m guessing that the moral of the story is, if you offer any kind of gig that deals with website promotion you have to look at the website that the buyer wants you to promote to ensure that you won’t be unconsciously promoting a clone or competitor of Fiverr? Is that correct?

What happens if you get an order for something like this? Do you just contact Customer Support and let them know that someone was trying to get you to promote a site that violates their ToS? Do you cancel the order or wait for Customer Support to get back to you? I can just see so many sellers being banned over something that is a simple accident…otherwise, you cancel and suffer a lower rating or possible demotion in level for the cancellations? Seems like sellers get the short end of that stick no matter what they do…though I’d take a lower rating over being banned any day I guess.

So I’m guessing that the moral of the story is, if you offer any kind of gig that deals with website promotion you have to look at the website that the buyer wants you to promote to ensure that you won’t be unconsciously promoting a clone or competitor of Fiverr? Is that correct?

What happens if you get an order for something like this? Do you just contact Customer Support and let them know that someone was trying to get you to promote a site that violates their ToS? Do you cancel the order or wait for Customer Support to get back to you? I can just see so many sellers being banned over something that is a simple accident…otherwise, you cancel and suffer a lower rating or possible demotion in level for the cancellations? Seems like sellers get the short end of that stick no matter what they do…though I’d take a lower rating over being banned any day I guess.

Reply to @nik777: I just read through and didn’t see anything like that either. I think it’s more of an unspoken / unwritten / common sense kind of rule. Don’t get me wrong, I feel that if you’re going to bother having a ToS at all it should clearly lay out EVERYTHING that’s not allowed. But thinking about this situation from a common sense point of view, why would Fiverr be cool with any of its sellers using its own platform to provide cheap promotion and services to one of its competitors?

On a slightly different but related note, I have heard that there are several types of gigs that aren’t really allowed here on Fiverr. The most obvious ones are mentioned in the ToS (illegal, violent or hateful stuff), but it doesn’t really get too specific. So as sellers, how are we supposed to know specifically what types of gigs are and aren’t allowed if they aren’t mentioned in the ToS? It means you could literally post anything and potentially be in trouble since specifics aren’t mentioned. How can we possibly avoid doing “wrong” when we don’t know what all is considered "wrong?"

Does anyone have any kind of list for which specific types of gigs are NOT allowed on Fiverr?

Our sellers’ success is our success, so if we end up restricting a user it is never done lightheadedly. As much as we hate doing it, sometimes it’s a necessary measure to protect our community.

Examples are (all outlined in our terms of service): performing illegal activities, spamming, copyright infringement and so on. We do not block a user for providing service to a competitor. Period.

That said, when ‘competitors’ are copycats that ask you to take our work (design, trademark, copyright etc) and rip it off for their use, they are asking you to participate in copyright and trademark infringement and we will not allow it.

We will not allow this behavior also if it happens to you. If someone copies your gig or uses your delivered work to get paid for your hard work - we will not allow it. It’s illegal, uncool and un-fiverr. If you keep your gig original, don’t copy from others (brands or users) and don’t assist in the misleading of others, you shouldn’t be worried.

And if in doubt, don’t hesitate to contact our CS team or post your question on the forums. We’re all here to help when you need it.

• 3 weeks later...

Same situation with my previous account, a user sent me a message to design him a logo for a similar site. I didn’t pay much attention, and replied asking for more info. I didn’t agree to design the logo, I only sent him a message asking for more details on the logo.

Minutes later my account was disabled and I was accused of promoting/building fiverr clone sites.

I think it was very unfair to disable my account like that and ban me from fiverr, as now I read that for a similar case, that the seller actually COMPLETED the gig, they only removed his gig from the search results. He also kept his level 2 status.

In my case, I didn’t even start to design the logo, the buyer did not order a gig, all I did was ask for more info, and and they banned me just like that. When I sent them a message, they ignored me and deleted my request.

I used to love fiverr, I TRUSTED them to be my only source of income and I used to encourage people to work with me through fiverr as a reliable and safe way to get their job done.

Now I’m sad, and I don’t think I will trust them again. I think they don’t care about me or other sellers, they only care about making profit through us.

To any fiverr staff who sees this: Why does fiverr treat users differently?

good day all…please can someone explain to me why my money is still waiting for clearance more than a week…am new here and i just got two orders which am greatful for…i know its a step at a tym but wat i dont understand is the job has been completed for over a week now and fiverr hasnt cler the fee…explanation needed pls…can anyone help…

• 1 month later...

Reply to @kevinwil: Hi Kevin,

I kept asking why was my account on probation and I was simply told that they can not tell me why. After asking about 4 times in different emails/tickets for a YEAR, probation was over and they finally allowed me to unban my gig.

Sad thing was that, I was never told about the duration of probation. I was always told to contact later and they’ll see if I qualify.

Anyway, I am glad that they fixed it even if it was after a year. The only downside is that now my competitors are at 4000+ feedbacks and I am stuck at 600+

It used to hurt me looking at them taking all my possible order lol I was the top seller for my niche, now I am like 10th or so.

Oh well, its still better than no orders at all.

Reply to @guruofbacklinks: I fixed a Wordpress website which was somewhat fiverr’s clone. I never checked what he was selling, I just fixed his issue without paying too much attention to the rest of his website. I mean its not like I created that website for him, it was something minor that he wanted me to fix since it was a wordpress based website.

Reply to @writeforfun: I started adsense websites and on average I am making about $70 a day + all the fiverr money.

My gig provide gazillion ideas to me + the money lol I fix websites, so I just pick the good functionality and implement it in my own website 🙂 Its more like an inspirational work lol

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived