Why did fiver increase the minimum price i had to list for my goshtwritting gig ?

livincrefcoeur

Question

Fiveer just change so i had to increase my gig from 20 to 40$ for the basic package. I usually make my calculation so i ask 20$/hour while working. And the gig i offer was talking me about 1h, so i was happy with the pricing. But now as they ask 40$ it is becoming quite expensive for client to order for me. Alredy, with the previous price i was getting about 4 time more than the industry average (wich is still not enough to live completly out of this, but it's not the point either). I feel like with this change fiveer reduce my chance of getting order

Thank you in advance for your answer

• Like 4

3 answers to this question

2 hours ago, livincrefcoeur said:

Fiveer just change so i had to increase my gig from 20 to 40$ for the basic package. I usually make my calculation so i ask 20$/hour while working. And the gig i offer was talking me about 1h, so i was happy with the pricing. But now as they ask 40$ it is becoming quite expensive for client to order for me. Alredy, with the previous price i was getting about 4 time more than the industry average (wich is still not enough to live completly out of this, but it's not the point either). I feel like with this change fiveer reduce my chance of getting order

Thank you in advance for your answer

Just from one writer to another, try to be more mindful of typos - you seem like you actually know what you're doing (mostly), but your post's title made me worry at first.

Now, as for the topic - can you just increase your word count as well as the price? Not sure if the page would let you do that, but I think that might work if you REALLY don't want to have higher prices. From what I can understand, Fiverr is moving away from being able to sell gigs for $5, which is honestly a good thing (I think). 

What I'd do is just make sure that the quality I offer is worth $40 (so no typos if possible, though of course that happens, correct grammar, great worldbuilding, just..you know, good writing in general.)

If I'm not sure about industry standards, but as a narrative dev/writer, I think $40 as a starting price is pretty normal/humble even. Don't focus on what you see completely new profiles charge because, honestly, $5 for 1000 words (or 2000-2500 words, I've seen both even recently) just isn't fair. 

• Like 7
  • Up 2

6 hours ago, livincrefcoeur said:

with the previous price i was getting about 4 time more than the industry average

$20 per hour is absolutely not four times the industry standard for ghostwriting... at all.

I agree with katakatica. You can increase what you offer for the price if you'd like as long as what you offer is worth it.

• Like 4

The rate they take short stories in magazines is in many occasions 0,01$ per word. So 500 words would be taken at 5$ (it is truly horrible since it's the same price Isac Asimov was selling is stories before he was famous in 1950). And a lot of applications get rejected

If I can do 500 words in 1h, and receive 20$ for it, I am being paid 0,04$/word. More than what I can expect in the industry. 

I must specify prehaps I am talking about fiction gosthwritting. 

The whole point of that low-cost gig (so 20$) was to attract the buyer so i could behind charge higher margins extra, like proofreading, extra lore, maps... With the entry price at 40$ is more difficult to get buyers.

Thanks for the answerd neverless

• Like 1