Cancelation policy

Guest dmc_art

Question

Guest dmc_art

I recently had a very unpleasant experience with an order that lasted for almost a month.

The buyer contacted me regarding my gig about tattoo designs, and told me he wants a design that covers his half chest and his shoulder. Right after accepting my offer, the buyer kept on enlarging the design and its complexity. In the end, it turned out that this guy wanted me to design a tattoo that covers his chest entirely, his shoulder, part of his neck and part of his back. He was uncooperative all the way long, and since I wasted 3 weeks doing his revisions as he kept enlarging the design on each revision I had to cancel the order - he wasn't about to pay the right sum for the design. I literally worked for nothing.

I noticed that the cancelation affected my rating, so I opened a ticket at the resolution center.

Customer support representative (that wasn't supportive at all) couldn't restore my order completion rate saying that there is a cancelation policy and in my case, the stats couldn't be restored. So, my question is:

Why Fiverr pushes sellers to do extensive work for less $? It simply doesn't goes in favor for both ends - neither sellers nor the platform.

Instead, I was supposed to do a design that would cost over 150$, while the order was 80$? Just so I can keep my order completion stat at 100%

Edited by Guest
typo

4 answers to this question

Hi @dmc_art, sorry you had such a negative experience with that buyer.

For those buyers, the minute they ask for something outside of scope of the order, you should send a gig extra to cover for that additional work - this will ensure that you get paid for your work and it sends a message to the buyer that you won't work for free. Some buyers will keep asking for more as long as the seller keeps agreeing to do the work.

Standing by the scope of your services also makes it easier to cancel without the cancelation hurting your seller stats because you are clearly defining the scope of your order to your buyer. Nothing will happen until the buyer either accepts the gig extra or the order is canceled. When order requirements aren't so clear (especially when the seller agrees to do some work outside of the order requirements), it sends mixed messages to the buyer on what is included in the order and it makes it difficult for Customer Support to support the seller in the cancelation.

• Like 9
  • Up 3

On 11/21/2022 at 11:13 AM, dmc_art said:

I noticed that the cancelation affected my rating, so I opened a ticket at the resolution center.

Cancellations will hurt your seller stats, but they are better in my opinion than getting a bad rating. Ratings stay on your profile, but as you do more work cancellations eventually go away. Provided you keep getting good ratings.

• Like 8

Guest dmc_art
5 hours ago, kendal1747 said:

Cancellations will hurt your seller stats, but they are better in my opinion than getting a bad rating. Ratings stay on your profile, but as you do more work cancellations eventually go away. Provided you keep getting good ratings.

TRUE

10 hours ago, vickieito said:

Hi @dmc_art, sorry you had such a negative experience with that buyer.

For those buyers, the minute they ask for something outside of scope of the order, you should send a gig extra to cover for that additional work - this will ensure that you get paid for your work and it sends a message to the buyer that you won't work for free. Some buyers will keep asking for more as long as the seller keeps agreeing to do the work.

Standing by the scope of your services also makes it easier to cancel without the cancelation hurting your seller stats because you are clearly defining the scope of your order to your buyer. Nothing will happen until the buyer either accepts the gig extra or the order is canceled. When order requirements aren't so clear (especially when the seller agrees to do some work outside of the order requirements), it sends mixed messages to the buyer on what is included in the order and it makes it difficult for Customer Support to support the seller in the cancelation.

The guy wasn't accepting anything, so.... 😕 

21 minutes ago, dmc_art said:

The guy wasn't accepting anything, so.... 😕 

But that doesn't mean you should be accommodating.

Based on my experience, I'm the only person that gets hurt if I allow a buyer to push me around. The buyer gets a steal of a deal and not only do I unnecessarily overexert myself to please the buyer, I have no support from Fiverr CS because I'm not following my own rules.

If the buyer isn't accommodating, it's best to politely refuse and refer to my own rules that I set up to protect myself. I make sure that the scope of the order is clear to both myself and the buyer, and if the buyer isn't accommodating, Fiverr has been really good at making sure the cancelations don't affect my seller stats. They can't do that if I'm bending the rules to please my buyer.

• Like 5