How to Set a Per-Word Pricing Format

rehtael

Hello, I'm looking into getting started as a freelance writer, and would greatly prefer to simplify the process by charging per-word as opposed to a fixed price and/or fixed project size. A flexible format makes substantially more sense, but I don't see any clear options to do that within the required fields that Fiverr provides. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

• Like 16
  • Up 3

In lieu of a better option, I'm thinking about listing the pricing as $5.00 for 250 words to establish the rate of $0.02 cents per word with a note stating the actual requested rate, but I'm not certain how Fiverr would handle that method of payment. Further insight needed.

• Like 11
  • Up 3

The sort of 'issue' with Fiverr is that the price of your product has to be divided by five (so for example, you can't sell, say, 650 words in your case, etc - or at least for now that has never happened to me. The best that you can do is write how much you charge per extra words in your gig packages because that way it'll be customizable to some extent.

The downside of that is that for some reason while other extras will add extra days to your deadline, this feature doesn't (might be a recent change?) which means that if someone increased the wordcount you might have to write faster than you'd like ( this has only ever been an issue for me once but...) 

Another good way to offer custom word count is to use custom offers (but of course again that's somewhat restricted.) My current pricing is awesome for this but I reckon once I raise it a bit it'll be a bit harder to count all the time!

• Like 11

12 hours ago, katakatica said:

The sort of 'issue' with Fiverr is that the price of your product has to be divided by five (so for example, you can't sell, say, 650 words in your case, etc - or at least for now that has never happened to me. The best that you can do is write how much you charge per extra words in your gig packages because that way it'll be customizable to some extent.

The downside of that is that for some reason while other extras will add extra days to your deadline, this feature doesn't (might be a recent change?) which means that if someone increased the wordcount you might have to write faster than you'd like ( this has only ever been an issue for me once but...) 

Another good way to offer custom word count is to use custom offers (but of course again that's somewhat restricted.) My current pricing is awesome for this but I reckon once I raise it a bit it'll be a bit harder to count all the time!

So are you able to submit a custom invoice once the service is rendered, or do you need to stay strictly to increments of five for the sake of processing on Fiverr's end?

• Like 7

Unless I find better alternatives, I've decided to just set my prices at $5 for a 300-word trial, and $10 for every 500 afterward in order to match the $0.02 per word price. (With the note that I'll go past the 500-word mark for free at my own discretion in order to complete paragraphs and/or sentences. Fingers crossed I'll find a better way of doing this in the future.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, rehtael said:

So are you able to submit a custom invoice once the service is rendered, or do you need to stay strictly to increments of five for the sake of processing on Fiverr's end?

So you're able to send a custom offer for 'any' word count, but from what I can see, it does have to be dividable by five (the fee, not the wordcount) which basically means rounding up/down for the most part. I've had this issue before as well for certain services, which is why I ended up figuring out a different way (having a much smaller 'sample' package than I'd like, but oh well!)

I hope that this system will work out fine for you! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1