Do I as a VO seller, have the right to know where my voiceover audio is going?

riss02

Question

Hi there, 

I am a long time VO artist on Fiverr. For the past 6 years I have never really inquired where the audio I record and send out is going, I have never really needed to know. If the client tells me, that's great! But otherwise, I normally just record and send it off.

I am looking to expand my voiceover business and create a resume with some of my voiceover work. I added some of the VO work I have done for big companies in the past, but realized that a lot of the Fiverr VO's I send out, I don't know the names of the platform or company. I reached out to some of my long-term clients to ask what platforms they use my voice on. Most of them are some sort of e-learning or teaching modules. Some of them came back right away and explained, but some of them said they will get back to me with details after they make sure it is ok to share with me. I am assuming this means they do not want to tell me... which I find kind of suspicious.

As a seller, don't I kind of have the right to know where my audio is being displayed? It could possibly be being used by a gigantic e-learning company that would be really good for my resume, but I would never know. How do I navigate this? Should I keep asking? Or no? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, riss02 said:

As a seller, don't I kind of have the right to know where my audio is being displayed? It could possibly be being used by a gigantic e-learning company that would be really good for my resume, but I would never know. How do I navigate this? Should I keep asking? Or no? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

I really think it depends on how you have your gigs set up. In general, unless you state otherwise, the intellectual property rights of the purchased delivery go to the client. Meaning, its theirs. It would be nice if they told you, but I don't think they are obligated to.

I do think it would be ok for you to ask though.  

As a VO artist you receive a script, from which you can tell a bit (I assume) for what it's for right? If it sounds like an interesting project it wouldn't be weird at all, in my eyes at least, to casually ask what it's for. I do that with my poems as well! In my eyes it's not weird wanting to know where your delivery is going (especially if it's your own voice!). I always mention it's purely for my own interest & it also helps to incorporate the right feelings into the words. Which goes the same for you in a way I think!

So for future (and resume) purposes I'd say just go ahead and ask, they can always tell you no. In Dutch we have a great saying for shooting your shot; you already have a no, and a yes you can get. Which in English comes down to the saying 'nothing ventured, nothing gained' I believe 💪

You could add the question to the list of requirements when the customer places the order. I think it's a valid question, anyway, because it highlights whether the customer needs to be buying extra rights or not. If they really don't want you to know, they can tell you. You could make the question optional if you want to, but I suspect most people won't mind telling you.

Archived