I found out my file got corrupted after submitting and now all my work is gone. I've aleady opened a dispute to extend the delivery, but I don't know if I can open another.

vamian

Question

The buyer requested a revision, which gave me +1 day, but I can't finish everything in one day. I got a new laptop for christmas and I think in the process of transfering all my files, my work got corrupted. I already requested for a longer time once before and I don't know if I can do it again. My delivery is in under 10 hours and I only have 1k words out of 5k. The buyer is a repeat buyer and understood what I was going through, but will my reputation get worse if I open another (my second) dispute? 

PS: My other laptop is inaccecible and I don't have any back-ups. 

4 answers to this question

The answer is quite simple: you don't have a choice but to request another time extension. It's unfortunate that you can't access your old laptop anymore in order to just adjust the file there. Although it's technically not your fault, you still cannot deliver an incomplete order since that's against Fiverr rules. The buyer luckily understands so that's a nice thing luckily!

I agree that the best option is to ask for another time extension if you don't have enough time without it. Otherwise it will go late and it will affect your stats and the buyer will likely be unhappy about it.

Also make backups/copies of the file you have and do more backups in future of other Fiverr work to lower the chance of loss. If you think the file is corrupted it might be better not to work further on it and instead you could copy the text into a new file. You could also check the file/backup in a file viewer to see if the other text is in there somewhere / see if anything can recover it. Or try and get the other laptop accessible.

I'm not going to try to troubleshoot the technical issue with your old laptop, but what exactly do you mean inaccessible?  If it is in a different location you can't get to, that is one thing, but if you mean you just can't get files off of it, well there are a lot of ways of attempting that.  It is not difficult to mount your old laptop as a drive on your new laptop and see if you can retrieve the files.  There is a lot of information on the internet regarding this, and your local repair shop can help. 

that being said, the others who have commented are right, unless you can quickly retrieve your files, you have to bite the bullet and ask for more time. 

6 hours ago, cs_evans said:

I'm not going to try to troubleshoot the technical issue with your old laptop, but what exactly do you mean inaccessible?  If it is in a different location you can't get to, that is one thing, but if you mean you just can't get files off of it, well there are a lot of ways of attempting that.  It is not difficult to mount your old laptop as a drive on your new laptop and see if you can retrieve the files.  There is a lot of information on the internet regarding this, and your local repair shop can help. 

that being said, the others who have commented are right, unless you can quickly retrieve your files, you have to bite the bullet and ask for more time. 

I've given my laptop to someone else and I've already done a factory reset. The only way I can get the file is from the hard disk I put it in, but it's gotten corrupted while uploading it there. I tried uploadnig it on another laptop and the file was still corrupted there

Archived