Client ghosting/blocked me after the order was ready. Status shows Away in Inbox but upon checking buyer profile, shows online.

stammiae

Hi all, a few days ago a client contacted me for a custom Artwork request as a telegram profile picture. I took up the request, I usually collect my payments only after the Artwork piece is ready as I get to decide the price accurately once it is ready. My client stopped replying to messages once I quoted the price, his status has been away since then. Upon checking the profile it shows the status is online. Does this mean my client has blocked me or of some sort or is he/she just ghosting me? Please help me out as I've spent around a week making the project and now I have no means to sell the Artwork to anyone else.

3 minutes ago, stammiae said:

I took up the request, I usually collect my payments only after the Artwork piece is ready as I get to decide the price accurately once it is ready.

That's not how Fiverr works. Price is mutually agreed upon before work begins, the buyer pays for the work before it begins, and the seller gets paid after the order is marked as completed (and the payment clears in Fiverr). 

7 minutes ago, stammiae said:

Please help me out as I've spent around a week making the project and now I have no means to sell the Artwork to anyone else.

You should not have started any work until the buyer placed an order. At this point, there is noting you can do, because there is no legal order agreement, and the noted "buyer" did not hire you to complete any work. If there is no existing Fiverr order, then there is nothing you can do. You worked on a promise, and chose not to establish a legally-binding transfer of services.

13 hours ago, jonbaas said:

That's not how Fiverr works. Price is mutually agreed upon before work begins, the buyer pays for the work before it begins, and the seller gets paid after the order is marked as completed (and the payment clears in Fiverr). 

You should not have started any work until the buyer placed an order. At this point, there is noting you can do, because there is no legal order agreement, and the noted "buyer" did not hire you to complete any work. If there is no existing Fiverr order, then there is nothing you can do. You worked on a promise, and chose not to establish a legally-binding transfer of services.

Thank you, I understand. My service is in such a way that I am able to decide the price only after is done, a huge downside to my service I suppose. I do have a rough estimate of how much it would usually cost before I start but also, I'm worried that my client might not be satisfied with my work, therefore I am afraid of over charging my clients as well. I will surely keep this in mind the next time I receive a client on Fiverr. So does this basically mean that my client has blocked me due to the away status? That was the main question really I wanted to clear with the help of this forum post as I am well aware that Fiverr cannot assist me in forcing my client to buy the Art piece I had made for him/her.

12 hours ago, theratypist said:

Fiverr can only help you if there is an order in place... Only start the work if an order has been made. Having an order in place protects both you and the buyer.

I understand, thanks a lot for your response. It means a lot.

3 hours ago, stammiae said:

My service is in such a way that I am able to decide the price only after is done, a huge downside to my service I suppose.

And, again, that's not how Fiverr works. 

I do have a rough estimate of how much it would usually cost before I start

Please familiarize yourself with how Fiverr works, and be sure to work within those boundaries. Fiverr is a services marketplace. Your services, and the price for those services, should be clearly marked on your gig page. Any buyer should be able to click the buy button, on any of your clearly marked services, and hire you on the spot. Fiverr is not a work first, negotiate payment later, kind of website.

So does this basically mean that my client has blocked me due to the away status?

Your buyer may have blocked you because he/she no longer wants to work with you. Since you did not have an order in place, he/she did not do anything wrong. You chose to work on a project, before there was a legal transaction in place. You wasted your time doing something that the buyer clearly wasn't interested in purchasing. That's why you should have a purchased order in place, BEFORE you do any work.

17 hours ago, stammiae said:

Does this mean my client has blocked me

If they had blocked you it would have said something like "x is not accepting messages at this time". They probably just don't want to answer. Don't keep messaging them if they don't answer. Maybe the price you quoted was above their budget.

On 10/17/2021 at 3:35 AM, jonbaas said:

And, again, that's not how Fiverr works. 

Please familiarize yourself with how Fiverr works, and be sure to work within those boundaries. Fiverr is a services marketplace. Your services, and the price for those services, should be clearly marked on your gig page. Any buyer should be able to click the buy button, on any of your clearly marked services, and hire you on the spot. Fiverr is not a work first, negotiate payment later, kind of website.

Your buyer may have blocked you because he/she no longer wants to work with you. Since you did not have an order in place, he/she did not do anything wrong. You chose to work on a project, before there was a legal transaction in place. You wasted your time doing something that the buyer clearly wasn't interested in purchasing. That's why you should have a purchased order in place, BEFORE you do any work.

Thank you for the detailed answer. I appreciate it. I will surely keep my gig updated hereby.

On 10/17/2021 at 3:57 AM, uk1000 said:

If they had blocked you it would have said something like "x is not accepting messages at this time". They probably just don't want to answer. Don't keep messaging them if they don't answer. Maybe the price you quoted was above their budget.

My client really like the work and we even negotiated the price to something fair. Thank you for the reply.

Archived