less stars or cancle the order ?

oyoffers

Question

4 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, oyoffers said:

helo , im in a little tight situation right now , someone orderd from me and he required something that i cant do ( due to technical problems that werent expected) , as a seller what effects your gig more, cancelation or bad rating ?

If you can't actually deliver the work, you should cancel the order. You shouldn't make a buyer pay for something they are not getting. That's unethical. 

In your situation, a cancellation would be the right thing to do. It will affect your order completion rate for the next 60 days. If you keep delivering all orders that comes in during those 60 days, your order completion rate will go back up. 

Getting an angry review from a seller who says you didn't deliver but forced them to pay anyway, is far worse for your future business. That's the type of review that shows you don't care about your buyers, and it will stay in your profile forever. 

If you had done the work and delivered as agreed, I would say take the bad review and answer it professionally, because you should always get paid for your work, but since your situation is "something that I can't do" - you should go for the cancellation. 

3 minutes ago, smashradio said:

If you can't actually deliver the work, you should cancel the order. You shouldn't make a buyer pay for something they are not getting. That's unethical. 

In your situation, a cancellation would be the right thing to do. It will affect your order completion rate for the next 60 days. If you keep delivering all orders that comes in during those 60 days, your order completion rate will go back up. 

Getting an angry review from a seller who says you didn't deliver but forced them to pay anyway, is far worse for your future business. That's the type of review that shows you don't care about your buyers, and it will stay in your profile forever. 

If you had done the work and delivered as agreed, I would say take the bad review and answer it professionally, because you should always get paid for your work, but since your situation is "something that I can't do" - you should go for the cancellation. 

yes you are right , i can actually do half of the work but still it doesnt count as the whole work , thank you so much  ! and beside the order completion rate is anything else gonna be affected ? because i always finish my orders this person ordered without contacting me first tahts why the problems happened 

6 minutes ago, oyoffers said:

yes you are right , i can actually do half of the work but still it doesnt count as the whole work , thank you so much  ! and beside the order completion rate is anything else gonna be affected ? because i always finish my orders this person ordered without contacting me first tahts why the problems happened 

A cancellation will affect your order completion rate, and that can affect your ranking/visibility on the platform for a while. But every successful seller will have to cancel an order at some point. I've had to cancel several orders during my 7 years on Fiverr, mostly because of similar reasons to you: I could not deliver what the buyer wanted, due to stuff like falling ill or technical difficulties. And that's an honest thing. You should always try to avoid cancellations, so if you could be creative and solve this without one (for example by borrowing a friends laptop if your PC dies) that would of course be the best option. 

But if you have no way of delivering what they need, you could do one of two things: 

1) Ask the buyer for more time, so you can solve the technical problem you have and deliver the order, or

2) Cancel the order and take the hit to your stats. If you have plenty of orders, the hit to your completion rate should be fairly small. If you had 10 orders in the past 60 days and you cancel one of them, that's a drop of 10% in your completion rate. That's a bit dramatic. But if you had a lot of orders, cancelling a single order won't be a big deal. 

But the goal should always be to not cancel if you can. But forcing your buyer to pay for something you can't deliver, or making them go via support to cancel it, would be bad customer service. I've had to cancel orders before, and some of those buyers actually returned at a later date to order again, since they remembered that I had their best interest in mind, even though it could hurt my rank for a bit. 

yes i prefer having that than making someone pay or cancel it himself, iwill try to recover from it soon and yes you have to try those things once in a while , thank you so much for your time it was really usefull as i am a beginner here! i am really gratefull thanks 

Archived