So you got a negative review... What now?

moonstaredits

This time I come with a very common concern for sellers, specially new ones.

First I need to tell you my experience. My first two orders were 4 stars and 3.7 stars respectively. Buyers were not specifically unsatisfied, just felt like leaving such reviews wouldn’t affect me. A disaster in my eyes as a new seller.

Things took a turn for the better with my other ratings. 5 stars reviews and a 4 star review. Current rating is 4.5

So, you received a negative review, it was the first customer to do so among the very few orders you have, and your rating lowered. What now?

First things first, don’t panic. You also have the chance to answer the negative reviews with your side of the story, that way potential buyers will see that the customer was asking for things out of the scope, had a subjective opinion about your work, didn’t bother in leaving a 5 star rating, whatever it may be.

If you haven’t, improve your gig to attract more customers despite the bad rating. I did exactly that after the 4 star review and managed to attract more customers after doing so.

Maybe consider pricing up your packages. The reason why we attract customers that are difficult tends to be the lower prices. New sellers sometimes need to have them in order to compete with other sellers with an established reputation, but I promise that, even if you get less orders, they will probably be from qualified buyers who are actually looking for the quality you offer and not chasing lower prices. Cheap buyers tend to be bothersome and they don’t know what they want exactly, leaving a negative review just because they feel like you didn’t exactly what they told you to do (when sometimes it is impossible to do it).

Promote your gig in social media, and consider, if you can, creating a website where you can do blogging about your area of expertise to attract traffic. Promote your gigs there, or have a section in your website that showcases your portfolio and link it to the Fiverr gig. You can also have a youtube channel with tutorials, or previous works or samples, that link to your Fiverr gig or account. This is specially helpful for graphic design sellers.

Lastly, don’t be discouraged. A negative experience doesn’t mean all your experiences are going to be negative.

Keep up the good work

The low price gig often brings bad buyers and it’s true because they would be like “yeah, it’s just 5€ anyway, I can do what I want”.
But most of sellers did the 5€ gig, me included when i started fiverr to get reviews and then raised up my prices.
But I also saw on this forum sellers who got their first order ending up with a 1 star review so at this moment I have no idea how they can step up because the 1 star review is the first thing appearing on a gig :rofl:
And the thing about social media… Well, facebook, our friends and family don’t need our services, youtube, unless having a lot of subs, it’s not that useful, instagram, unless being popular, same for youtube, twitter same, quora is just a website where everyone throws gig link that no one cares about, so only linkedhin might be useful for sharing.
I was sharing my gigs on discord because I do videos for popular streamers and their communities know me, but in 1 year I’ve just got 1 customer.

The low price gig often brings bad buyers and it’s true because they would be like “yeah, it’s just 5€ anyway, I can do what I want”.

But most of sellers did the 5€ gig, me included when i started fiverr to get reviews and then raised up my prices.

But I also saw on this forum sellers who got their first order ending up with a 1 star review so at this moment I have no idea how they can step up because the 1 star review is the first thing appearing on a gig :rofl:

And the thing about social media… Well, facebook, our friends and family don’t need our services, youtube, unless having a lot of subs, it’s not that useful, instagram, unless being popular, same for youtube, twitter same, quora is just a website where everyone throws gig link that no one cares about, so only linkedhin might be useful for sharing.

I was sharing my gigs on discord because I do videos for popular streamers and their communities know me, but in 1 year I’ve just got 1 customer.

That is my current strategy too.

And the thing about social media

I forgot to specify that personal accounts aren’t helpful in this case. Creating a business account and promoting it through pay-per-click can be helpful though, same with a website. The best options for organic exposure without payment is being conscious of SEO and your target customers and do quality content, but always in a business account.

Archived