Received a "Form 1099-K" Email - Scam or Legit?

evolvingshift

I genuinely believe this is legitimate and fiverr just made a huge mistake on how they sent these out.

That being said, I’m still not going to put in my information to get the form, I’ll be waiting for them to issue a statement or resending these in a more official way.

Fiverr is worth over 700 million dollars, and they’re sending legal tax form notifications from an unknown email address none of us have ever interacted with, from a domain that looks like this?

I call bullsh*t. I’m with @evolvingshift , speaking on behalf of the Writer Tribe here on Fiverr. The wording around this whole thing is, to put it like the kids do these days, “sus”.

image.thumb.png.ec3e8b11a9aaada68f6933ac63fbe5cf.png
image1615×933 97.6 KB

Fiverr is worth over 700 million dollars, and they’re sending legal tax form notifications from an unknown email address none of us have ever interacted with, from a domain that looks like this?

I call bullsh*t. I’m with @evolvingshift , speaking on behalf of the Writer Tribe here on Fiverr. The wording around this whole thing is, to put it like the kids do these days, “sus”.

Exactly! There are too many signs that something is seriously wrong here, and I’m surprised Fiverr hasn’t said anything officially. I know they are an Israeli company but a name like “soft cons” is one of the worst domains you could pick for an “accident” and it doesn’t even make sense a mailserver would be coming from a place like that instead of Fiverr.

Here is the response I got from support[at]fiverr.com after I emailed them. Notice it’s the same exact email, and no, I didn’t receive another email with a third 1099-K from the sketchy email address after this.

Dan Team Lead (Fiverr Customer Support)

Jan 28, 2021, 1:11 PM EST

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this. The email you received is legit and is from Fiverr. The issue is with the email address of the sender, which caused confusion. Our team worked on a new email, which you should have in your inbox already.

Thank you on behalf of the entire team for your caution and your understanding.

Dan Team Lead Customer Support Fiverr.com

I’ve been a victim of identity theft before and I am definitely not opening any of these until we know for sure someone who is an actual Fiverr employee says something about it.

Even better, they should upload the 1099-K directly into our accounts on Fiverr’s website instead of sending it via email.

Exactly! There are too many signs that something is seriously wrong here, and I’m surprised Fiverr hasn’t said anything officially. I know they are an Israeli company but a name like “soft cons” is one of the worst domains you could pick for an “accident” and it doesn’t even make sense a mailserver would be coming from a place like that instead of Fiverr.

Here is the response I got from support[at]fiverr.com after I emailed them. Notice it’s the same exact email, and no, I didn’t receive another email with a third 1099-K from the sketchy email address after this.

Jan 28, 2021, 1:11 PM EST

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this. The email you received is legit and is from Fiverr. The issue is with the email address of the sender, which caused confusion. Our team worked on a new email, which you should have in your inbox already.

Dan Team Lead Customer Support Fiverr.com

I’ve been a victim of identity theft before and I am definitely not opening any of these until we know for sure someone who is an actual Fiverr employee says something about it.

Even better, they should upload the 1099-K directly into our accounts on Fiverr’s website instead of sending it via email.

What do you think about PayPal and Fiverr issuing separate 1099K forms for the same income? Won’t that confuse the IRS?

Hi Everybody!

I received this message in my Fiverr My Support Requests which you can access yours at this URL when you are logged in:

https://fiverr.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests

So, per Official Fiverr Support,

The email you received is legit and is from Fiverr. The issue is with the email address of the sender, which caused confusion. Our team worked on sending a new email which should be in your inbox already. Thank you on behalf of the entire team for your caution and your understanding."

Here’s the screenshot:

Legit.png.809975190775f72032de281943235894.png
Legit694×248 39.3 KB

But if you are unsure, simply forward the email you received to support@fiverr.com and they will respond.

Cheers to a great year ahead! 🥂

~Lisa

Hi Everybody!

I received this message in my Fiverr My Support Requests which you can access yours at this URL when you are logged in:

https://fiverr.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests

So, per Official Fiverr Support,

The email you received is legit and is from Fiverr. The issue is with the email address of the sender, which caused confusion. Our team worked on sending a new email which should be in your inbox already. Thank you on behalf of the entire team for your caution and your understanding."

Here’s the screenshot:

But if you are unsure, simply forward the email you received to support@fiverr.com and they will respond.

Cheers to a great year ahead! 🥂

~Lisa

ilovevoiceover, I got that message via email but the so-called followup email they sent me was the same malicious data-stealing email so I am pretty convinced at this point Fiverr was hacked. I do not trust anything they send me considering Google is blocking me from opening them, and they know a thing or two about malware…

ilovevoiceover, I got that message via email but the so-called followup email they sent me was the same malicious data-stealing email so I am pretty convinced at this point Fiverr was hacked. I do not trust anything they send me considering Google is blocking me from opening them, and they know a thing or two about malware…

Hi evolvingshift!

You should also have received a message from Fiverr Customer Support which you can log into at this URL: https://fiverr.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests

If not, I encourage you to create a support ticket!

I hope this is helpful!

~Lisa

Hi evolvingshift!

You should also have received a message from Fiverr Customer Support which you can log into at this URL: https://fiverr.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests

If not, I encourage you to create a support ticket!

I hope this is helpful!

~Lisa

I did that a few days ago and received the same sketchy response, as well as a duplicate of the malicious email. Here is the support ticket response, which makes me believe Fiverr itself has been hacked in some way because it is NOT satisfactory.

Dan | Team Lead Friday at 01:11

Hi there,

Has anyone opened the actual file? I will not open an email from “soft-cons.com” no matter what they say. Here is what I just received from Fiverr Customer Support:

Feb 2, 2021, 4:56 AM EST

Hi there,

The file is encrypted for security and this was checked and confirmed that both emails are from Fiverr. Your point is well taken and your concern is understandable, however, I assure you that the email is from Fiverr. Being that you are not the only user who received this email and that other users opened the file just fine, I confirm that there is no reason to be worried about it.
Please let me know if you’re still hesitating to open the file, so I can check if there is an alternative way for us to provide you with the file. Thank you.

Hopefully this will help others with this situation. I asked for the 1099 to be sent from an official Fiverr email and finally did receive one from: w9form[at]fiverr.com

Hi evolvingshift!

I received a response from Fiverr Customer Support that they would be resending the tax form using the same address as you advised " w 9 form [at] fiverr [dot] com " however, I have not received a new email yet. Glad to learn you received yours!

It sounds like the plan is to resend the emails out today. However, if by Feb 3rd an email is NOT received, then anyone who has not received their tax from from the Fiverr email address is encouraged to contact Fiverr Support.

Be well!

~Lisa

Archived