It's only $5

Guest itsyourthing

Reply to @artemist:

1. I’ve experimented with several levels of this and have found pushing for larger orders while sacrificing some as a result to be far more profitable than going for the highest volume possible. I also have a strong understanding of analytics, so yes I felt that it’s the better strategy.

2. It’s a forum! Forums are meant for discussing strategies, not complaining or advertising (which is what 80% of the posts are doing). If someone disagreed, the appropriate response would have been to state why they find going for higher volume over higher profit per order is better. It’s insane how thickheaded some people can be to actually take offense to something like that rather than analyze the strategy and see if they can increase their income as a result.

3. White chocolate / banana mix.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest cust0mcr3ationz

Reply to @finalstep: Well played sir. You just brought the morale of this forum down. while we all try and make money selling more than one gig it doesn’t really happen this way. It’s Fiverr not “sell a lot of gigserr”. We all want to sell way beyond quota but it doesn’t happen that way. sorry there’s 2 separate memes the attach thing hates me.

finalstep said: I've experimented with several Levels of this and have found pushing for larger orders while sacrificing some as a result to be far more profitable than going for the highest volume possible.

Spoken like a master bean counter. Like I said before, (Oh no! Here comes the part where both sides start repeating or restating their previous tedious points!), your strategies seem to be working for your goals. Congratulations on that. Others have different goals and different strategies. Join me in hoping they also find their bliss, whether it is higher volumes, higher per-deal rates, or having more fun with a few sales now and then. Yes, they are terribly short sighted by your metric, but that is their call.

finalstep said: Forums are meant for discussing strategies, not complaining or advertising (which is what 80% of the posts are doing). If someone disagreed, the appropriate response would have been...

Again with the "my way is the right way" stuff.

Checking out now before I get banned. (They're coming to take me away, ha-ha, ho-ho, hee-hee, to the ...)

I personally would prefer my customers message me first before placing an order. It saves cancellation and unnecessary headaches. Of course, if the buyer is asking too many questions, it is a hint for me that he/she is difficult to deal with and I rather don’t do businesses with him/her. Still a win-win situation. I get to know my buyer first.

Guest cust0mcr3ationz

Reply to @jasveena: Thank you Jasveena! I also try and explain to a customer that time is money and if they ask too many questions or seem too difficult i tack on gigs to the quote. Sometimes I even stop talking or refer them to others. I am not hurting for clients, regulars, or gigs for that matter. What I honestly don’t understand is why a seller cares if it’s a $5 or $55 dollar order. It should be more about the quality and quantity vs. not about trying to make the customer pay an arm and leg. It’s about making the services affordable in hopes that if a customer comes back with a new order the project will be larger and more profitable. It’s easier to hire a freelancer than a large business or a small business with very little ratings. With a freelancer a lot of times they have reviews and samples if they have been doing things quite awhile. I could charge $5 every 500 words. My customers say my stories are well worth the orders. If you care about the quota and are that conscious about gigs (talking to any seller) the web is your virtual playground…Fiverr is for people trying to expand their customer base and offer services at affordable rates. At the end of the day someone is always going to try and compete with your services and may take your buyers.

I got snookered a few times during my time as a freelancer. There is always someone that will attempt to get a free sample. For my fellow Freelance Writers however, I am sure we all have faced this ongoing problem of intellectual thieves who pretend they are interested but they want a full sample… when really they are most likely trying to get free work or finish a project someone else paid them to do. Its the most ancient trick in the book. The best thing to do in that regard, is truly give them a sample. Never a entire piece of work but a few highlights and put it in quotes. Then also remind the person that what they have in front of them is a previously published/used work.

Guest cust0mcr3ationz

Reply to @mirenbaines: Never ever ever give free samples. let me repeat that…no freebies except giving a little extra in the gig sometimes. Let your prior work or your gigs they order speak for itself. If they can’t order after talking to you or seeing prior abilities they’re trying to get free work. Tell them to move along. I’m serious I learned this after a few people actually used my work by passing it off to a different seller. Seriously some buyers will prey on your free sample. A lady tried to ask for a sample of a speech for one of my unrated gigs. I said to her I have plenty of old script and blog samples. I sent them and never heard back. I was like ya i thought so. She didn’t want to order. She wanted to see if someone would give a freebie first.

Reply to @cust0mcr3ationz: Because the seller should have ambition to make above minimum wage? Also if it’s a $50 order you will be able to dedicate far more time and effort to it and therefore provide better quality (apple products cost a lot and as a result they provide high quality).

cust0mcr3ationz said: What I honestly don't understand is why a seller cares if it's a $5 or $55 dollar order. It should be more about the quality and quantity vs. not about trying to make the customer pay an arm and leg.

Just sharing. I think sometimes Clients just want to explore further about our service, or to know if we (Sellers) have any great idea to come up with. I experienced 2 times with my clients that they intended to purchase $5 at first, but after my idea for better solution fitting their needs, the final agreement is higher than $100 for 1 order. So I suppose sometimes it’s great to “over deliver idea”, and also Clients have their reasons to “over asking” 🙂

Guest cust0mcr3ationz

Reply to @finalstep: Really that’s what we’re going with is wanting to make higher than minimum wage? I make higher than minimum if i get booked with a full queue of orders. You also mentioned you needed to have $$ to support your new technology and Apple isn’t cheap. Not really going to touch that one. I really don’t want to stray off topic and give my feelings about Apple. I enjoy just working here, not seeing how much I can get out of a customer. If that’s what a sellers ultimate skill is their not selling “affordable” services. A client should want to pay for your services ultimately based on your skills. Ever thought of doing some SEO work on your website. People would definitely order if you updated it and optimized it. I found a site that is under your biz name…people have to contact you. I had the same issue when i had my other site. Until i added prices and my Fiverr info. Then orders exploded…but I had bad experiences with Intuit so I had to change companies. Seriously have someone else help you there’s plenty of people on Fiverr.

cust0mcr3ationz said: You also mentioned you needed to have $$ to support your new technology and Apple isn't cheap. Not really going to touch that one. I really don't want to stray off topic and give my feelings about Apple.

My Macbook Pro did fall off a 2 story balcony (in a laptop backpack) and it still worked afterwords!! Yes, the screen was cracked, but.... You could still actually use it! However, It was a good excuse to get the retina display model :D

Reply to @cust0mcr3ationz: I don’t know what site you found, but my site has SEO done and plenty of customers. That’s besides the point though. What I was saying again is if you get a job for decent money you will be able to invest decent time into it and provide much better results for the customer. If someone purchased business consulting services from me for only $5, I would not be able to do adequate research for them and provide the best advice I can. You can have all the skills in the world, but ifall you can afford to invest in a job is 10 minutes you’re probably not giving the customer the best quality work.

Guest cust0mcr3ationz

Reply to @finalstep: I Googled your biz name and this site said it had 14 years experience like you do, 3 categories of expertise, and a contact tab under each service tab. It even had an email feature. Just had no prices. Looked pretty nice. Oh I Finally found yours under Final Step Consulting…You’re letting all your business go to the other guys. Change the LLC. Google it if you don’t believe me. I’m not saying that a run of the mill $5 gig of 10 minutes of consultation works for a client I’m saying there’s $5 services and then there’s services that require more than $5. Just make sure every customer knows that. I’m sure you do and that’s great, there are some sellers on Fiverr who don’t. The seller is surprised later when they’re snagged in and the seller says oh for another $50 or another $100 or yada yada I will do this. I can name a huge handful and I would say something in my blog If I didn’t have a few nice Top Rated Sellers who help moderate it on the sidelines. I keep my rates firm and I quote them by gigs and let my gig extras do the rest of the talking. If a buyer wants 4000 words…$20. If they want it fast where they bump it up the queue they need to order the gig extra…etc. I literally don’t play around. I have people who have me proofread and all I do is read, correct, and add content. The document is about 10,000 words and they pay $40 or more. Don’t get it twisted I’m not trying to pick a fight with you, I’m having a friendly disagreement.

Reply to @cust0mcr3ationz: The prices are there in campaign builder after you register. It’s done this way for good reason. Exposing people to prices before collecting their info is bad practice in my industry. Many will choose to go shop around and you will have no way to get back in contact with those who don’t return. Also this way I know what they were considering purchasing, which lets me optimize my pricing and customize future promos.

Friendly disagreements are great, that’s what forums are for and why I made my original comment. So on that note (writing services are not really my thing so correct me if i’m wrong), but 1000 words for 1 gig is a huge amount. You are probably offering this many to be competitive. Now as a buyer (again many may see it differently) if I see someone offering an enormous amount of work for $4 I will generally question their skills and experience or assume they’re not putting much effort into their writing and not make a purchase unless the job is really basic, like data entry that’s hard to screw up. On the same note i’m not purchasing programming of my website from someone willing to program for 2 hours for $4 because i’ll be worried the errors they cause will be far more costly. Sometimes offering premium in a market where everyone is offering wallmart prices signals quality to buyers…

Sure there are plenty of buyers here who will refuse to spend more than $5 on anything, so I will be losing their business. But I know those buyers were not going to make me the money I want (with the exception of a few gigs I offer), so I happily pass on them.

If I have to give out my personal info to get prices I move on. Its bad enough everyone targets with adds no matter what website you are on I don’t want calls or emails just because I was window shopping.

If you are competitive and provide quality work you will get business.

That’s a car sales trick, to “get em” on the lot, never quote a price on the phone and grab their info.

In today’s economy quality is taking a backseat in some cases to “how much and how cheap can i get it”.

People do not stay on any web page very long, they like to get to the bottom line quickly. If I have to work to find out what is offered and for how much, I move on, its that simple.

Guest cust0mcr3ationz

Reply to @finalstep: I was doing 500-700 words and I was being out ranked and competed against by new sellers. My samples speak for themselves in my virtual portfolio. Haven’t put any new ones up lately but anytime customers want to see samples I give them samples. My customers offer more than I quote more often than not. That is because writing gigs are difficult sometimes. My children’s story gigs are the highest selling right now. If I were to charge for the brainstorming and the writing I would have to charge triple or quadruple my rates. A children’s story takes me 30 minutes to an hour to write after I brainstorm a basic idea. A short story takes around an hour or more for 1000 words. If it takes someone more than that their doing things wrong. I really think that most buyers here are looking for the best deal and if they weren’t they would seek out other sites. That’s all I got to say about that.

Guest cust0mcr3ationz

Reply to @ghostblogger: Always quote low and attempt to sell high. No matter what try and offer other services and make the customer believe they need the extra bells and whistles. Sellers who sell video gigs and drawing gigs do it all the time. I Write a Fiverr blog and always get roped in to ordering more and believe me when I do I’m happy I did.

Reply to @cust0mcr3ationz: Just curious, what do you mean by outranked in this case? Do you mean in terms of search position?

cust0mcr3ationz said: I was doing 500-700 words and I was being out ranked and competed

Well most of the gigs I offer provide far less content for the buck than many others on here. What I found is that (with the exception of the video testimonial gig and a couple others) it without a doubt leads to higher conversion. For the ones where it doesn't I don't really mind because I don't want to offer those services for any less.

Guest cust0mcr3ationz

Reply to @finalstep: In a gig economy such as this people see my samples and reviews and many don’t care if I deliver 1000 words. As long as the content is good they’re happy. Many of my other gigs like my blogs, articles, and essays are only 500 words. I could still get orders with 700 words, but I like to pummel the competition who tried to outrank me. They may try to build up a large que but when the buyer is unhappy they seek out me and others to write something new or proofread. My children stories are about 500-600 words and I get a lot of orders lately. This one buyer went through 4 or 5 other horrible seller experiences and then found me. He needed someone to write kids horror and the problem was the other sellers weren’t following instructions he wanted a kids story and not an adult story. I was able to make it creepy yet entertaining for a kid to read. I suggested he write a series of multiple stories in one book…i think he’s coming back very soon. It’s not what you do it’s how you do it. A buyer will always come back if you know your product. When I ultimately came to Fiverr I was selling graphic design and now it’s mostly writing services.

Archived