It's only $5

Guest itsyourthing

Guest itsyourthing

I am not a wealthy person by any stretch of the imagination (would I really be here if I were?), but sometimes I am amazed by how much time & effort someone will put into communication before ordering (or deciding not to order,) a gig.

I’m honestly not complaining - and I would definitely prefer a buyer get in touch first if they have any questions about a gig - but to message back and forth, five or six times over five dollars doesn’t seem like a very good investment of anyone’s time. It’s also amusing (and a little disappointing) that it’s usually the best communicators who won’t commit to buying. It’s my assumption that they have trouble committing or taking a chance on anything - procrastinating while at the same time feeling like they are ‘working’ because they’re talking about their business. Like the business owners who spend more time at luncheons and seminars than actually operating their business.

In general, do you find the more a buyer wants to talk about the gig, the less likely they are to buy it?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should not need to send more than 2 messages before deciding whether you want to take the job or not. In your first message ask to outline the job specs, in your second message give the full price and request they place the order to proceed. I never spend more than a minute on any customer before they place the order.

I like it when people message me first if their topic is obscure or something but in general if someone keeps messaging me 5+ times asking detailed questions and asking for a ton of samples I just end up ignoring them. After about two messages you’ve already taken up 5$ worth of my time and you haven’t ordered yet LOL.

Guest cust0mcr3ationz

Reply to @finalstep: I don’t agree. 60-70% of the average order (not including what you do) are $5 ro $10 orders. Would you like to know what some of my recent orders have been? Chew on (2) $35 order, a $20 order and a few other orders higher than $5. Ok then please stop with the smart remarks. I’m sure people don’t like it.

Guest itsyourthing
bachas85 said: 20+ messages

Dang! I hope the eventual order was easy and paid you well. :)

finalstep said: you're doing something seriously wrong.

Are you intentionally trying to be an asshat or does it come naturally? Here's a bit of real-world advice: If you have to tell people how "amazing" you are, you aren't.

cust0mcr3ationz said: I don't agree. 60-70% of the average order (not including what you do) are $5 ro $10 orders.

This place is intended to be fast and cheap. If you can make large average orders, great, take advantage. If it's all $5-10, great too. Keep up the good work @cust0mcr3ationz!

I'm seriously considering putting on some makeup and doing a camera gig. I'm nowhere near as young & beautiful as @bachas85 but maybe if I tell people I'm "amazing" they'll pay me fat stacks anyway. ;)

That was actually good advice. Levels come with extras, so if you’re still getting mostly $5 orders you are not using the extras right or are giving away more than you have to with the original gigs, thus being left with $5 purchases which as the OP stated are usually not worth the time put into communications.

Guest cust0mcr3ationz

Reply to @finalstep: You can’t twist a buyers arm to buy a gig extra. It’s in your best interest to sell them so it’s best to make each extra enticing and make them affordable to the customer. I honestly don’t see why you ave to come off as the Fiverr Forum devils advocate. seriously if a seller is making sales and doing well that’s all that matters. Right now I have 12 orders in queue between all my gigs and only half have extras or multiple orders. Seriously just stop acting like you know the in’s and outs of Fiverr, like the people who write e-books on Fiverr. I have been here almost 3 yrs and I still contact CS or other sellers when I have questions. End of story.

Guest cust0mcr3ationz

Yes they do and I wouldn’t invest a penny. They are annoying, pretentious asshats who make money off blackhat methods of selling like facebook and twitter gigs or article spinning. Some even have multiple accounts by working with other sellers and having multiple ip addresses or multiple paypals. seriously i would not waste my time and energy. Another thing to stay away from is the forums that teach blackhat selling.

Reply to @cust0mcr3ationz: You do realize I wasn’t even talking to you right? The message was directed to the thread starter, who by the way he phrased his comment is not taking advantage of the extras. But to answer your comment, no it’s only in your best interest to sell someone if the money you make from that person is worth time time your invest. If it takes you a half hour to fulfill a single gig after spending another 15 minutes messaging back and forth before the order is ever placed you should not be taking it. Again, not saying you have to take my advice especially when it’s not even directed towards you. It’s a discussion forum, the whole point is to discuss strategy, if you don’t agree move along bub.

Guest cust0mcr3ationz

Reply to @finalstep: Really I was answering someone else. No need to fight. I don’t mind answering questions from people if they get annoying that’s why I have a report button. or I can refer them to someone else to bug or just say not interested. Lets agree to disagree and say that most people on Fiverr don’t want to pay more than a Fiverr unless they really have to. ok cool.

Reply to @cust0mcr3ationz: Most people go to the car dealership not planning to spend more than the blue book value or buy any car other than what they planned. Yet most leave spending far more, buying a different car, and stacking it with all kinds of accessories they don’t need. It’s called selling and marketing!

ps. stop with all the gifs please, they slow down people’s computers. Think you were asked by a mod to tone it down on them.

Guest cust0mcr3ationz

Reply to @finalstep: Really learn the difference between a jpeg meme and an animated gif. seriously if this slows down your computer time for a new computer or faster internet. No one has said anything yet about the pictures and i’m not posting them with every post. Find something else to complain about.

Sheriff’s Note: To all participants in this thread…let’s stay on topic please 😉

Guest itsyourthing
bachas85 said: .. And thankfully I got it removed because I proved that her intentions were to get free work from the beginning, plus there was a loooot of conversation exchange to prove a lot of things.

I'm glad it got sorted out!

I wonder if all the buyer/seller communication time, gig tweaking, CS battling and promotion is added up, what the average seller's hourly rate actually is here. It's obviously worth it for a lot of folks, but it would be interesting to see the numbers.

Guest itsyourthing
finalstep said: The message was directed to the thread starter, who by the way he phrased his comment is not taking advantage of the extras.

I wasn't really addressing extras at all, just making the observation that there are quite a few buyers who would rather take the time talk about their business than move it forward - even when the investment is only $5 and they would have my product in hand in less time that it takes to message back and forth.

I once (quite recently actually) had a buyer who started using the messaging system as an instant message. I happened to be online at the time of the first couple of messages and then went offline. Kept getting the “Hello”, “are you there” posts. Had to purposely come online to explain that it wasn’t an instant message and could he please include all the information instead of treating it like that.

He decided to buy my gig but then complained that it hadn’t worked and asked me to contact him directly. After all the problems, I reported him only to get a gig come through about two weeks later. It seems it was an e-cheque thingy and he didn’t realise. He actually came back to fill in the instructions, I completed the gig and that’s the last I’ve heard from him. I think I still have him blocked in my messages though!

Some buyers are just hard work. I like buyers contacting me first but there are just some who don’t quite seem to get it! Language barriers can be a problem but I try to break my sentences down in ways that anyone will be able to understand so I don’t have to take 20 messages or so to explain something.

Reply to @alliemadison12: No idea why you’d take that as an insult. I was simply implying that you can split any service or provide many incentives to purchase extras. If you do videos, you can easily charge more for change of wardrobe, change of background, adding music, etc. You can decrease the max number of words for the max gig, etc so people will purchase more. If your goal is to just get as many orders as possible regardless how much time you spend on each one, your roi is probably not the best it can be.

The person implied that it wasn’t worth going back and forth with messages to try to secure a purchase when all you’re getting is $5, so I said you should not be getting only $5 per/sale if you do things right.

finalstep said: I said you should not be getting only $5 per/sale if you do things right...

But that implies that your idea of "sales success" is inherantly better than that of others with different gigs, goals and strategies. You openly, repeatedly have said that higher fees per transaction is "right", which is easy to read as you saying that people who "settle" for other, lower fees are wrong. You know, not as smart as you.

Your judgement seems to work for you, but it is offending others who embrace different strategies they enjoy and/or find rewarding for their own personal preferences and situations. Some sellers (and buyers, too) are most happy dealing in $5 transactions with the option to go bigger only on selected transactions. Not everyone wants to treat Fiverr like a serious business. That is a personal decision.

Please change the subject and tell us next which flavor of ice cream is inherantly "better".

Archived