VO - how to respond to Buyer Requests

robertking698

Yes, this is very specific to Voice Over work.

I have responded to many Voice Over requests and included links to my demos found on soundcloud. Yesterday I reviewed my soundcloud stats only to discover no one has gone to listen to them. To me this would indicate my responses to Buyer Requests are not up to snuff, but, it indicates it is NOT my demos that are turning people off.

The only conclusion I can come to is my actual responses to the buyer requests are not inspiring anyone to listen to my demos.

Here is a sample of how I respond…

_Hi! With over 30 years of professional stage performances I offer a voice over service that is of the highest quality and fast!! Here is a link to a couple of demos for your listening pleasure… https:/******************

I can do this for you within a couple of hours in HQ (wav) format. Looking forward to hearing from you. Regards

In the order details I don’t always put in the proposed budget amount because there may be a Corporate or Broadcast licence fee involved or they want additional music tracks and that is all listed in the pricing component.

I go on the assumption if they don’t like my voice they don’t want to hear all about the details, it would be a mote point. Like I stated though, it doesn’t look like they even go to the demos to listen.

What do you do for your replies to Buyer Requests? What would you suggest I do different? What kind of a ‘hook’ do you use to get people to listen to your demos?

Thanks in advance to all those who respond.

Guest joshcates

Hey there! I also do VO. I’ve had great success with buyer requests, but I think the major thing I do differently compared to what you’ve posted here is that I make specific mention of how prior experience plays into a project. For instance, I had to do a project with a variety of character voices. I specifically mentioned how I had experience in making up a variety of voices on the spot through running Dungeons and Dragons games, and mentioned the range that was most comfortable for me.

In another example, someone wanted an IVR recorded. I was able to specifically mention that I had done an IVR before, and asked how they would like the files organized on delivery–a sign that I had their specific project in mind, and that my reply to their request wanted copy-and-pasted.

You might also mention the examples on your gig page, so that someone doesn’t have to go off-site to check out your demos. Otherwise, try to tailor your response specifically to the needs of the project to show that you know what you’re talking about. I know you do, and you know you do–but you have to convince the buyer, too!

Hey there! I also do VO. I’ve had great success with buyer requests, but I think the major thing I do differently compared to what you’ve posted here is that I make specific mention of how prior experience plays into a project. For instance, I had to do a project with a variety of character voices. I specifically mentioned how I had experience in making up a variety of voices on the spot through running Dungeons and Dragons games, and mentioned the range that was most comfortable for me.

In another example, someone wanted an IVR recorded. I was able to specifically mention that I had done an IVR before, and asked how they would like the files organized on delivery–a sign that I had their specific project in mind, and that my reply to their request wanted copy-and-pasted.

You might also mention the examples on your gig page, so that someone doesn’t have to go off-site to check out your demos. Otherwise, try to tailor your response specifically to the needs of the project to show that you know what you’re talking about. I know you do, and you know you do–but you have to convince the buyer, too!

Thanks Josh. I think it would be very helpful to see some examples of how those who are successful at this do it or have some templates newbies could follow especially if the newbie doesn’t have previous experiences to draw on. What did you do in your first two months when you didn’t have ‘prior experience’?

Guest joshcates

Thanks Josh. I think it would be very helpful to see some examples of how those who are successful at this do it or have some templates newbies could follow especially if the newbie doesn’t have previous experiences to draw on. What did you do in your first two months when you didn’t have ‘prior experience’?

Even when I couldn’t cite a specific example, I tried to tailor my response to the specific need of the BR. Don’t use a template–buyers hate them!

E.g. it’s a corporate VO, so you might say ‘I have an engaging, middle-ranged voice. I’ve got public speaking experience and I know how to keep the listener hooked.’ Something like that. Everything is very subjective so just do your best to explain why you personally can satisfy the needs put forth in that specific buyer request. I could put ‘I’m a level two seller on Fiverr and I have nothing but 5-star reviews.’ but that doesn’t tell the client anything about how I can do their specific project, other than that other people have been satisfied with me.

Even when I couldn’t cite a specific example, I tried to tailor my response to the specific need of the BR. Don’t use a template–buyers hate them!

E.g. it’s a corporate VO, so you might say ‘I have an engaging, middle-ranged voice. I’ve got public speaking experience and I know how to keep the listener hooked.’ Something like that. Everything is very subjective so just do your best to explain why you personally can satisfy the needs put forth in that specific buyer request. I could put ‘I’m a level two seller on Fiverr and I have nothing but 5-star reviews.’ but that doesn’t tell the client anything about how I can do their specific project, other than that other people have been satisfied with me.

Josh: That is the kind of advice I needed. That response is much more specific to me and really has given me some direction in thought. Thank you so much.

Guest joshcates

Josh: That is the kind of advice I needed. That response is much more specific to me and really has given me some direction in thought. Thank you so much.

My pleasure! As you become more familiar and comfortable with Fiverr, you’ll find a style that works best for you. For instance, in the beginning, I was way too formal and stiff. Don’t be afraid of trial and error. Good luck! 🙂

Yes, this is very specific to Voice Over work.

I have responded to many Voice Over requests and included links to my demos found on soundcloud. Yesterday I reviewed my soundcloud stats only to discover no one has gone to listen to them. To me this would indicate my responses to Buyer Requests are not up to snuff, but, it indicates it is NOT my demos that are turning people off.

The only conclusion I can come to is my actual responses to the buyer requests are not inspiring anyone to listen to my demos.

Here is a sample of how I respond…

_Hi! With over 30 years of professional stage performances I offer a voice over service that is of the highest quality and fast!! Here is a link to a couple of demos for your listening pleasure… https:/******************

I can do this for you within a couple of hours in HQ (wav) format. Looking forward to hearing from you. Regards

In the order details I don’t always put in the proposed budget amount because there may be a Corporate or Broadcast licence fee involved or they want additional music tracks and that is all listed in the pricing component.

I go on the assumption if they don’t like my voice they don’t want to hear all about the details, it would be a mote point. Like I stated though, it doesn’t look like they even go to the demos to listen.

What do you do for your replies to Buyer Requests? What would you suggest I do different? What kind of a ‘hook’ do you use to get people to listen to your demos?

Thanks in advance to all those who respond.

_ Hi! With over 30 years of professional stage performances I offer a voice over service that is of the highest quality and fast!! Here is a link to a couple of demos for your listening pleasure… https:/******************

I agree with @joshcates, it’s all about “what can you do for them…”

Note that “30 years of professional stage performance” implies you’re on the older side, and I suspect younger buyers often don’t think of “stage performances” as hip, up-to-date, or appropriate for many VO, eLearning or IVR projects. (I don’t know the type of projects you’re responding to…)

How does that apply if I’m looking for a corporate eLearning gig? (What’s the benefit for them?) Something like “seasoned VO artist, with extensive experience making companies sound great”.

(Assuming you have that experience. Quality VO isn’t just acting experience, using a mic well is more than just projecting to the back of the room… I’m assuming your tech skills are above average too…)

My overall gut is you have great strengths, but buyers aren’t looking for great actors, they want someone who sounds like a pro in their industry…

Recalibrate your response based on their project, and how your voice can help them be more successful.

Please let us know how it’s going!

PS: I don’t know if your Fiverr profile also has a tux, but I’d also guess that doesn’t help you with younger buyers… They often want conversational, something you would be great at with your acting experience, but a tux may imply “stuffy, formal” and that may also work against you in some situations.

That said, it’s different than most, so it might work great longer term.

I don’t do voiceover, but I think I know what your problem is.

Your pitch is very generic and also salesy, which can put people off. It needs to be tailored to the specific request, with your offer positioned as a solution to their specific problem. Skip the boilerplate and just speak as one human to another.

To clarify, when I say “tailor,” I don’t mean create a template with blank spaces for the specific information. That doesn’t work and people see right through it. Some people even find it disingenuous that it’s written as if it is personal, but it actually isn’t. By “tailored,” I mean your pitch should be totally unique to that buyer and also conversational.

Hi, Robert!

Allow me to chime in with a slightly different point of view, partially from my own experience and partially from what I’ve picked up on this community forum.

There seems to be (to me) a bit of a stigma around buyer requests, where the posts are buyers who aren’t overly serious or even more so don’t have a large budget.

I gave up on BR completely ages ago because it just seemed too competitive. $5 budgets for large projects yet they’d still have 10+ bids. Just seemed impossible to win and not time well spent.

I did successfully use it early on just to get an order here and there and help get a few reviews, but that’s about it.

Other people may have different stories, but that is mine. I get the feeling that savvy buyers who understand the site would go the normal route of searching/browsing and finding a seller they want. I have made a few good connections in BR with people who were great to work with but just didn’t know how to use the site, but for the most part I would not worry too much about your methods. While you can optimize your message and profile, it may simply be the competitiveness of the BR section that is causing you grief - and there’s really nothing you can do to change that.

_ Hi! With over 30 years of professional stage performances I offer a voice over service that is of the highest quality and fast!! Here is a link to a couple of demos for your listening pleasure… https:/******************

Note that “30 years of professional stage performance” implies you’re on the older side, and I suspect younger buyers often don’t think of “stage performances” as hip, up-to-date, or appropriate for many VO, eLearning or IVR projects. (I don’t know the type of projects you’re responding to…)

How does that apply if I’m looking for a corporate eLearning gig? (What’s the benefit for them?) Something like “seasoned VO artist, with extensive experience making companies sound great”.

(Assuming you have that experience. Quality VO isn’t just acting experience, using a mic well is more than just projecting to the back of the room… I’m assuming your tech skills are above average too…)

My overall gut is you have great strengths, but buyers aren’t looking for great actors, they want someone who sounds like a pro in their industry…

Recalibrate your response based on their project, and how your voice can help them be more successful.

PS: I don’t know if your Fiverr profile also has a tux, but I’d also guess that doesn’t help you with younger buyers… They often want conversational, something you would be great at with your acting experience, but a tux may imply “stuffy, formal” and that may also work against you in some situations.

Thank you, I appreciate your response.

Thanks so much for your insight

Hi, Robert!

Allow me to chime in with a slightly different point of view, partially from my own experience and partially from what I’ve picked up on this community forum.

There seems to be (to me) a bit of a stigma around buyer requests, where the posts are buyers who aren’t overly serious or even more so don’t have a large budget.

I gave up on BR completely ages ago because it just seemed too competitive. $5 budgets for large projects yet they’d still have 10+ bids. Just seemed impossible to win and not time well spent.

I did successfully use it early on just to get an order here and there and help get a few reviews, but that’s about it.

Other people may have different stories, but that is mine. I get the feeling that savvy buyers who understand the site would go the normal route of searching/browsing and finding a seller they want. I have made a few good connections in BR with people who were great to work with but just didn’t know how to use the site, but for the most part I would not worry too much about your methods. While you can optimize your message and profile, it may simply be the competitiveness of the BR section that is causing you grief - and there’s really nothing you can do to change that.

thank you for your different point of view.

Archived