Fake buyers, asking for a free ride?

I really don’t get why you are so caught up in this - it was a bad review, it happens, they are not always fair, some people are odd, it is part of life!

I stayed in a hotel recently which had a couple of horrible reviews. From what I experienced, those were completely unfounded and incorrect. It happens but it is not worth focusing your time on if you are sure you delivered good work.

Reading what the buyer said in your conversation, it seems that the end product was good but the issues were the order process. Perhaps look over how you dealt with it, how you spoke, etc because there is something that they were unhappy with. Your whole focus is on “I delivered good work” which they say is true but the problem is elsewhere and people review based the whole experience, not just the finished project.

I am hung up on this, because this was an unfounded review, which was not only unfair, but is detrimental to my business and as a seller on Fiverr, everyone knows that rating is extremely important to new sellers. The why and the how are not important, what important is that this leads down a rabbit hole of epic proportions.

We have come to the conclusion, that the work I delivered was good, but you are now starting to question my people skills. So let me ask you this, how do we judge people skills ? What are the expectations for the communication between seller and customer here on Fiverr ? What would I have to have done, to justify a 2 star rating, if my work was good ?

This discussion could go on for days. Even if I sent the complete text laid out, people would still argue, because to some it would appear as a normal conversation, but others would nit-pick. This is pointless.

The end-result is this. My work was good, I delivered it in a timely manner and the guy gave me a 2-star review which was based purely on his interpretation of what he considers a good communication between seller and buyer.

Now the problem is obvious, if we judge sellers on such subjective terms and we can’t modify the feedback once given, what is the point of such a rating system ? I will say that again, anyone can make a buyer account, buy a service from you and give you a crappy rating based on whatever they want and now this rating will forever stain your account, because only the customers opinion is deemed important and no-one else can affect this, even after the order is cancelled and money is returned. Is this a fair system ?

I am hung up on this, because this was an unfounded review, which was not only unfair, but is detrimental to my business and as a seller on Fiverr, everyone knows that rating is extremely important to new sellers. The why and the how are not important, what important is that this leads down a rabbit hole of epic proportions.

We have come to the conclusion, that the work I delivered was good, but you are now starting to question my people skills. So let me ask you this, how do we judge people skills ? What are the expectations for the communication between seller and customer here on Fiverr ? What would I have to have done, to justify a 2 star rating, if my work was good ?

This discussion could go on for days. Even if I sent the complete text laid out, people would still argue, because to some it would appear as a normal conversation, but others would nit-pick. This is pointless.

The end-result is this. My work was good, I delivered it in a timely manner and the guy gave me a 2-star review which was based purely on his interpretation of what he considers a good communication between seller and buyer.

Now the problem is obvious, if we judge sellers on such subjective terms and we can’t modify the feedback once given, what is the point of such a rating system ? I will say that again, anyone can make a buyer account, buy a service from you and give you a crappy rating based on whatever they want and now this rating will forever stain your account, because only the customers opinion is deemed important and no-one else can affect this, even after the order is cancelled and money is returned. Is this a fair system ?

And let me add this, I was not born yesterday and I know that communication is extremely important and I have worked enough to understand that I always need to respect customers, regardless of their disposition.

But every review is subjective - you seem to be seeking a system where people write reviews based solely on some specific criteria; that’s not how reviews work anywhere. That buyer’s experience with you was not what they wanted/expected and that is it. There is nothing you can do about it and there is no way this situation is going to change.

I delivered it in a timely manner and the guy gave me a 2-star review which was based purely on his interpretation of what he considers a good communication between seller and buyer.

That is their prerogative as a customer. This is why I am saying to forget about it and move on.

anyone can make a buyer account, buy a service from you and give you a crappy rating based on whatever they want and now this rating will forever stain your account

Sure, that is technically possible but when there are 1000 competitors for each gig, is it really going to be worth the money for one of them to try bring you down when there are so many others too? Besides, if you think that happened to you, you can submit this to CS with proof and they WILL remove the review.

Remember that decent buyers read reviews with an understanding that there are people in the world who give negative Amazon reviews on a toaster when it burns their toast due to too high a setting. Don’t try to understand these people, just move on. I suggested that you check your communication with them to see if something went wrong there so you can avoid it happening in the future - it could have been a misunderstanding but to me, it sounds like they had an issue with your attitude, whatever that means…

And let me add this, I was not born yesterday and I know that communication is extremely important and I have worked enough to understand that I always need to respect customers, regardless of their disposition.

I mentioned communication skills because of that carefully thought out, descriptive reply they sent you when you wanted to know why they gave you two stars. They mentioned your attitude.

They didn’t have to respond as they did. It’s rare that after leaving a bad review, a client will respond so forthrightly with an answer that tells you what was wrong, and that is as firm and carefully thought out. They thought about what kind of review to give and felt it was justified. They sound unhappy with the overall experience.

I don’t know what they mean by your attitude but how a seller comes across in dealing with clients is important. I hope you also realize that I’m taking my time to write this in the hope that it will help in some way, rather than to criticize.

Archived