What I earned and learned on fiverr.com [ARCHIVED]

pdfhelper

Nice post!

For me when I started it, fiverr was a way to make some extra money last year.

I was graduating my BA, so I had no time to get full time job or anything.

I did fiverr, and the earnings I got from it at the time allowed me to visit my boyfriend(at the time it was long distance relationship)- so in a way fiverr helped me continue being with that person:). Anyway, at a certain point I had to stop doing gigs for a long while, but I am very glad to be back and have a chance to make it at least a bit more that pocket money.

Here’s something to add.

Don’t concentrate on 1 gig. There’s a great possibility that Fiverr will, at some point, take it down.

This is mainly true for social marketing gigs, but any gig applies really.

We all need to remember that it’s Fiverr’s playground, so they don’t even have to tell you why.

Another thing is not to buy into the “All these people make a living from Fiverr, you can too.” Because, again, you can put years into a gig and your reputation and have it removed just like that. With nothing you can do.

The point is to get a few gigs built up with ratings over time. That way, if you’re hit you have a backup.

I can use myself as a case in point.

I had a gig up for 2 years. Around 6000 positive ratings. Not one negative. Yes. You read right. I actually had about 8000 sales without even 1 negative.

With no warning Fiverr removed the gig. 2 years of hard work down the tube. No reason except that someone complained to them. No word on the someone, (Like I said… not one negative).

They also removed an 8 month old gig a few months prior.

So. Basically I had/have to start over. Thank the lord for repeat clients.

Anyhow. There’s no point in complaining. There’s nothing I can do.

All I’m saying is don’t put all your eggs in one basket. Sooner or later you’ll drop it.

Guest mistrizone

Very useful tips and information! The reason me and other people joined fiverr of course is to get some cash. My opinion is that the most important thinks here are the new friends and business contacts which everybody makes. This place is like small society built from people who are interested in business. I’m glad I’m here and can learn new thinks from all of you which have more experience than me. Good luck!

🙂 I agree with @bigbadbilly - I personally haven’t yet had a gig taken down;

However, since the nature of internet and how fast things change online + how long it takes to grow a single income source (fiverr, etsy, blog) to give enough income for a full time job substitute, it’s always best to work with few things at the same time.

I think fiverr can be a full time thing, however, you can not rely solely on it. The more options you have the more secure you can be in your online income. Although it’s of course all about balance- if you have too many things you are working on simultaneously, then you aren’t giving enough time to either and they will grow more slowly.

Reply to @bigbadbilly: Wow, so sorry to hear that. That happened to me as well, and as a first time seller I didn’t lose much. But I can totally believe that can happen. I had two gigs, and one was doing well then the other, but they dropped it because I didn’t login after a while and which I didn’t know they had a rule about that.

Anywho, I’m glad you were able to bounce back!

~Quaisha / VEstrategies

Guest dsaldridge

Great post! I am here because I’m sick of working for the content mills, where you have no control over how much you make except by killing yourself working harder. I want to have some control over my income, and also be able to use all of my knowledge in all my little niches instead of just pumping out the same topic over and over.

I got some great advice before I decided to come back and actually try working hard at Fiverr. I was told to put up as many as 20 gigs, not just one or two, and to make them specific. It seems to be working so far, as I’ve gotten orders on those niche gigs. Buyers like knowing that someone can do exactly what they need without having to ask.

Also, I am a communicator. I treat the buyers like I want to be treated, so I keep them up to date on where their gig is in the queue and when it will be finished. I try to deliver everything way ahead of time, but I know that will get more difficult as I get more buyers. I’m just hoping that getting buyers used to knowing that they will always get updated on the hows, when, and why will keep them coming back.

Basically, I use the Golden Rule and try to remember that buyers are just people with a need, like we all are. What is the old adage about how to get rich – Find a need and fill it.

Reply to @bigbadbilly:

Don't concentrate on 1 gig. There's a great possibility that Fiverr will, at some point, take it down.

I'm not sure with the generally imprecise language used what you define as a "great possibility. However, what I will say is that almost all advice you get that is true...there opposite is also true.

For someone who is not yet level 2. Focusing on 1 gig may be the surest path to leveling. Having a bunch of gigs that show as untested and unreviewed can lead to some buyer resistance.

Anecdotal evidence of losing a gig (or in my case of never losing a gig) is fraught with problems on both sides.

I would say the following.

a) Pick solid gigs with the highest of integrity.
b) If you have a gig that's selling and doesn't meant A ... ride it until the wheels comes off.

We all need to remember that it's Fiverr's playground, so they don't even have to tell you why.

I'm less troubled by the "not telling you why" then I am that there is no recourse. Once a gig is deleted it cannot be recovered. I definitely wish Fiverr would take a "lest restrictive" view.

Heck, even letting you change a gig that has 100 feedbacks would be nice of them and helpful to their sellers.

To the bigger point, while it is "Fiverr's Playground" they sure seem to build a lot of amusement / jungle gym equipment with we sellers (and buyers) in mind. In fact, they seem to take many entities concerns in mind.

Take the removal of gigs that violate others websites TOS. This shows they're not only concerned with their "control" but rather playing nice.

I think this awareness that we're in it together matters.

Another thing is not to buy into the "All these people make a living from Fiverr, you can too." Because, again, you can put years into a gig and your reputation and have it removed just like that. With nothing you can do.

This is a non-sequitur.

Of course anyone can make a living on fiverr. AND, the fact that several are does speak to that potential. I can promise you there will be a logo creator who will make a great income starting next year...even with several established ones and with a Super Seller in the space.

There are many reasons for this.

If you want to make it on FIVERR...don't let anyone's opinions prevent you and definitely don't let the fear of a gig removal do it either.

I agree with what she wrote. I think I am almost near my 2 yr anniversary here. I used to be a Level 2 but then I dropped to Level 1 where I remain. I am not at all worried about just being Level 1 because I do get orders and often get repeat buyers.

My advice is to be professional, kind and understanding. This doesn’t meant to be a doormat though, stand up for yourself when needed but do it with poise.

Don’t worry much about the levels unless you are one of those people who are OCD with analytics lol…not me. Instead worry about the quality of work that you put out and do it with a positive attitude.

Just my two cents… :-B

• 1 year later...

I can’t believe that it’s almost two years since I wrote the original post. It’s great to return to see familiar sellers and buyers; it’s just like returning home after a long time away 🙂

As this post is about what I’ve earned and learned on fiverr.com, here are a couple of things I want to share with you today.

Empathy - Last year was a difficult year for our family as my younger brother passed away suddenly. Among having a full-time job, being a mother/wife, travelling back and forth 400-km distance to be with my brother in his final days, I was able to manage my fiverr business. This was not because I had a super power but rather because my fiverr’s clients were super empathetic after I explained my situation and asked for extra delivery time. Everyone showed their understanding, some sent their prayers and a few shared their own experiences with me. What I learned was that people response well to honest and humane communication. Next time when you need something, explain it clearly and ask politely and you shall receive 🙂

Expectation - As important as being nice, setting clear expectation will make everyone happier. We all encounter clients who want the moon for a gig. As unreasonable as it may, I always deliver as much as I could but when not possible, I’d provide an explanation and offer the clients the option to add more fund or cancel. I learned that setting clear expectation helps clients understand their projects better and providing the option to cancel shows your confidence and makes the clients feel they are in control which is always a good thing. So don’t be afraid to say ‘no’ when you can’t do, want to or need to.

That’s all for now, until next time 🙂

Archived