Language barriar

zeus777

I guess this happens sometimes to sellers offering translation jobs;
you come across a word or expression which doesn’t exist in another language.
When this happens, you just need to get a bit creative and come up with a way to translate it
as closely as you can to the original meaning. There are words in Japanese where you can explain something in one word, but if I translate it to English it becomes a long sentence, and vice versa.

I had a buyer contacting me after finishing a file saying something like “The original English sentences were so short, why is the Japanese so long? Are you sure you are correct?”

It took me a while to explain and convince him/her.
The buyer believed me in the end thank god, but it would be nice if people understood that languages are different in every countries… 😅

Now, come on and come up with something forum-y-er, like…

Take a Kaffeestückchen, it´s a small sweet baked something you got from a bakery or confectionary that perfectly accompanies a cup of coffee.

Also, triple 7, you got a typo there, unless it´s purposeful pure irony gold! 😉

Now, come on and come up with something forum-y-er, like…

Take a Kaffeestückchen, it´s a small sweet baked something you got from a bakery or confectionary that perfectly accompanies a cup of coffee.

Also, triple 7, you got a typo there, unless it´s purposeful pure irony gold! 😉

Whaaat? Oh there is no typo, it’s all perfect, oh wait…I see it…uh-oh, it ain’t on purpose…just a dumb mistake, hahaha. I’ll leave it like that so the world can laugh at my mistake 😄

BTW I googled Kaffeestückchen, looks great!

It sure does look like it will go well with coffee 😍

Let’s see…what example can I come up with…there is the word "yoroshiku"

which means hi, how are you, I hope we can get along well, I’m looking forward to

being friends/coworkers with you, let’s have each other’s back, etc etc…and it’s just one word in Japanese.

Then you may see what I’ve found in my job, by reading an official German document, this word:

Ver­kehrs­infra­struk­tur­fi­nan­zierungs­ge­sell­schafts­ge­setz

here:

https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/vifgg/BJNR105010003.html

Part of my job, especially when translating software, app etc. stuff, is pushing the words around like Tangram so long until I get a not too long sentence without word monstrosities like that. Especially entertaining if you have limits like ‘only 60 characters’ when the English text has already close to that.

Google sucks big time with compound words, no good for SEO and all that.

That´s enough barrier to block off the Kö. (something like the Champs-Élysées, for the mods, it can´t really be translated either ;))

Part of my job, especially when translating software, app etc. stuff, is pushing the words around like Tangram so long until I get a not too long sentence without word monstrosities like that. Especially entertaining if you have limits like ‘only 60 characters’ when the English text has already close to that.

Google sucks big time with compound words, no good for SEO and all that.

That´s enough barrier to block off the Kö. (something like the Champs-Élysées, for the mods, it can´t really be translated either ;))

Uhhh…how in the world do you pronounce that darn word???

Archived