Beware of this new scam

A new scam is going around Fiverr. Someone posing as a "buyer" will ask you for your email address, claiming they need it to place an order. This is not true because there's no reason for them to require your email to order on Fiverr or "verify" anything.

They might even show you a fake screenshot that supposedly shows Fiverr requesting your email. Again: It's fake.

My bet is that the scammers are trying to get a hold of your Fiverr account. 

568ddc715f0429cc49bdd.png.559b36e11d7a51796a528e817db73711.png

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 58
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Up 10
  • Thanks 12
  • Facepalm 1

• smashradio changed the title to Beware of this new scam
4 hours ago, smashradio said:

A new scam is going around Fiverr. Someone posing as a "buyer" will ask you for your email address, claiming they need it to place an order. This is not true because there's no reason for them to require your email to order on Fiverr or "verify" anything.

They might even show you a fake screenshot that supposedly shows Fiverr requesting your email. Again: It's fake.

A new day, a new techinique!

• Like 38
  • Up 3

On 3/30/2024 at 1:46 AM, smashradio said:

Thanks @smashradio for your valuable information about Scammer. Scammer can asked you in different way to convince and tempt you for better income. You should know the right person to sell your services

• Like 33
  • Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm new to Fiverr and I've had 3 different accounts message me the same - with Screenshots of needing an email ID and 'me not being verified' till I have my first order apparently. Thinking of sending one of them a link to this thread 😄

• Like 5

Gosh, I received the same message just a few minutes ago. I'm new to Fiverr. I did not know that buyers can buy without knowing my email address. I was so excited because it could be my very first order so I immediately gave my email address to that person but then there was an alert from Fiverr that my message might contain links. I then became suspicious and checked the internet and got to this forum. My suspicions are correct!

I was so paranoid that I immediately turned 2 factor verification on my email address to make sure my email is not hacked. I also reported this and contacted customer support and reported this incident as well. I'll make sure to also be wary of any incoming emails and be careful of links.

Sad to think that my first potential customer was a scammer. :classic_sad: This is a reminder not to openly share my personal info to others.

image.png.af2b9eb914e1fd4b07b1c5c73ba46c37.png

• Like 6

On the second day of my Fiverr journey, I encountered two scam attempts shortly after publishing my gig. Both scammers sent screenshots and requested that I scan a file. Thankfully, I recognized the scam and didn't scanned. Fiverr has since banned one of the accounts, and my response rate remained unaffected. Thanks to Fiverr. As freelancers on Fiverr, it’s crucial for all of us to stay vigilant and aware of potential scams, especially as new sellers.

• Like 5

I almost got snipped just today when I was just starting, guy asked for my email so I gave it to him (im new shush) then I get an email from this dude "ronny@stromstads.se" clearly fake and It was titled "You have received an order", I clicked the link on my phone because I wasn't on my pc at the time and it brings me to a page to enter my banking credentials for paypal, visa etc.

image.png.099fad0e2aafee5ff7f473648da055e8.png

• Like 5

Same here! New seller, and was excited to receive the massage but I found it strange that they would need an email in order to buy. So I immediately sent it to the help desk/support. So glad I didn't send them my email address.

• Like 4