Buyer asked me for a service that i do not offer & later gave me a bad ratings.

ahmad_freelancr

Question

Hi guys,I have recently had a client who asked me for help with the logo design along with the Talking Head video that is what i was offering on that particular gig. I clearly told him that i do not offer logo design services and can't provide him with that. But later on i decided to make him a logo from my premade templates just to make him feel good. I went on every extent to provide him with what he needs and fulfill his demands and also provided him with 3-4 Talking head video variants because he changed his mind over and over again & needed changes in the process. Inshort my service was upto that mark that i provide all my 5 stars clients and also provided him with the highest quality possible service and work. But he gave me bad ratings & i don't think these ratings are justified. I have had all the 5 star reviews and this guy came in and gave me 4.3 stars that doesn't seem right to me & also this was his first ever gig purchased from fiverr. So, i think he doesn't have an idea what he was getting from me and what i offer on this particular gig. My gig was about Talking Head Videos and he was asking me to make a Logo for him that i even did for him because i don't believe in rejecting clients demands. So, my question is should i contact Support and ask them to have a look at the review of that client and can they change or delete the review if it is unjustified. Thanks!!

Edited by ahmad_freelancr
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

6 answers to this question

5 hours ago, ahmad_freelancr said:

i do not offer logo design services

5 hours ago, ahmad_freelancr said:

But later on i decided to make him a logo from my premade templates just to make him feel good.

Well, it was you who agreed on the scope of work, so it's not an excuse that you do not offer logo services.

You agreed, and now a newbie is directly in competition with the quality of sellers that have been in this field for years, and the buyer rated accordingly because you could not deliver the 'best' results (as you're not from this field).

In these scenarios, the best thing to do is cancel the order right away and contact customer support to fulfill the Order Completion Rate.

this guy came in and gave me 4.3 stars that doesn't seem right to me

And anyway, 4.3 is not a bad rating. You're in business, so you will have to be mentally prepared for getting even worse ratings (1 or 2 stars). You can not expect everything to be good every time in business (and even in life, in general).

Edited by rawque_gulia
  • Like 4
  • Up 1
  • Support 1

Correct me if I'm wrong.

From what I understand, the buyer is not talking specifically about the logo in their review.

Great Job. I wish it was a little more to the description, but its the first one ive done and im very content with the outcome.

If the above is what you're talking about, looks like the buyer is giving some constructive criticism when they said "I wish it was a little more to the description". 

They're either saying your service doesn't match what's in your gig description (which is highly unlikely as your description is what you would expect from a talking head video gig).

I think they're trying to say the outcome didn't match their description to the point. But they're happy with the result! 

You can see if what I'm saying is true by looking over the messages to see if you've missed something.

Regarding "the logo": If it was not part of the deal, and you did that purely out of goodwill without any cost to the customer: the logo holds no weight in the review in the first place.

However, not everyone thinks like that. Even what you gave them for free will affect how they review. So it's better not to do anything out of the scope of the project at all for some service types to avoid reviews like this in the future. 

A bit of advice: Never reply to a review on the same day. Give it at least a week before you reply to one. And don't be concerned about the 4.3 review. Any review above 4 is a good review (in my opinion).

• Like 2
  • Up 1

4 hours ago, rawque_gulia said:

Well, it was you who agreed on the scope of work, so it's not an excuse that you do not offer logo services.

You agreed, and now a newbie is directly in competition with the quality of sellers that have been in this field for years, and the buyer rated accordingly because you could not deliver the 'best' results (as you're not from this field).

In these scenarios, the best thing to do is cancel the order right away and contact customer support to fulfill the Order Completion Rate.

And anyway, 4.3 is not a bad rating. You're in business, so you will have to be mentally prepared for getting even worse ratings (1 or 2 stars). You can not expect everything to be good every time in business (and even in life, in general).

Actually we didn't agree on creating a logo nor he placed an order or paid me extra for it. The buyer would've been eligible to leave a review on basis of logo if he had paid me for it and i agreed to give him a guaranteed/competitive logo. He just mentioned that "Can you help with my logo design". Out of my goodwill i made him one design that he maybe didn't like i guess which i think changed his mind to give me that ratings. 

And its not about 4.3 stars its about the service i gave him and even agreeing on all his repetitive revisions about its and bits he gave me that.

(Not ranting i just think his review is not justified at all)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, creative_howl said:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

From what I understand, the buyer is not talking specifically about the logo in their review.

If the above is what you're talking about, looks like the buyer is giving some constructive criticism when they said "I wish it was a little more to the description". 

They're either saying your service doesn't match what's in your gig description (which is highly unlikely as your description is what you would expect from a talking head video gig).

I think they're trying to say the outcome didn't match their description to the point. But they're happy with the result! 

You can see if what I'm saying is true by looking over the messages to see if you've missed something.

Regarding "the logo": If it was not part of the deal, and you did that purely out of goodwill without any cost to the customer: the logo holds no weight in the review in the first place.

However, not everyone thinks like that. Even what you gave them for free will affect how they review. So it's better not to do anything out of the scope of the project at all for some service types to avoid reviews like this in the future. 

A bit of advice: Never reply to a review on the same day. Give it at least a week before you reply to one. And don't be concerned about the 4.3 review. Any review above 4 is a good review (in my opinion).

Yep, i know he is not talking specifically about the logo or even the talking head video in the review but it might’ve influenced him while leaving a review that he wanted a logo redesigned and asked me for it but i couldn't create one for him. Rest everything was on point the avatar and the talking head video was as highest quality as possible that you can get. So, maybe while writing a review he had that thing in mind.

Yeah learned my lesson today and will keep that thing in mind for future orders. Thanks! 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ahmad_freelancr said:

Actually we didn't agree on creating a logo nor he placed an order or paid me extra for it. The buyer would've been eligible to leave a review on basis of logo if he had paid me for it and i agreed to give him a guaranteed/competitive logo. He just mentioned that "Can you help with my logo design". Out of my goodwill i made him one design that he maybe didn't like i guess which i think changed his mind to give me that ratings. 

Oh okay, so the order was placed for "x" thing and the logo was "y" thing (which was done completely as a goodwill gesture).

But still, how do you know that the client rated 4.3 due to the logo and not due to the actual "x" thing for which the order was placed? Maybe, there was something lacking in the "x" thing itself? Did you confront the client and ask them the reason for leaving less than 5 stars (that would be against the TOS if you did)?

38 minutes ago, ahmad_freelancr said:

And its not about 4.3 stars its about the service i gave him and even agreeing on all his repetitive revisions about its and bits he gave me that.

A seller always thinks that they have given the best possible quality but things don't always work based on your perceptions. The buyer may have different expectations. The buyer might expect to get the 'perfect result' in the first delivery, and going back and forth in revisions may cause inconvenience to them, leading to a less than 5-star rating. There can be any reason, as everyone's way of perceiving things is different.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, rawque_gulia said:

Oh okay, so the order was placed for "x" thing and the logo was "y" thing (which was done completely as a goodwill gesture).

But still, how do you know that the client rated 4.3 due to the logo and not due to the actual "x" thing for which the order was placed? Maybe, there was something lacking in the "x" thing itself? Did you confront the client and ask them the reason for leaving less than 5 stars (that would be against the TOS if you did)?

A seller always thinks that they have given the best possible quality but things don't always work based on your perceptions. The buyer may have different expectations. The buyer might expect to get the 'perfect result' in the first delivery, and going back and forth in revisions may cause inconvenience to them, leading to a less than 5-star rating. There can be any reason, as everyone's way of perceiving things is different.

The "x" thing that was originally placed as an order was completed and fulfilled according the client's demands and he liked it in the chat & Yeah i agree with you that 4.3 is not a bad rating but it made a mark by dropping my ratings from 5 to 4.9. I know the only option i have now is to accept it and move on. Thanks for your time!

Edited by ahmad_freelancr