Fiverr forum comments vs. outside Fiverr

mark_sgp

I joined Fiverr only recently, earlier this year. So far, my experiences have been overall positive. 

I do find it interesting to see similarities and contrasts among the comments posted on Fiverr forum vs. those posted by presumptively active, or formerly active, Fiverr affiliates, sellers and buyers on sites outside Fiverr.

While there are many success stories, there also seems to be an undercurrent of dissatisfaction about customer service, bad experiences with sellers/buyers, and references to obsolete systems of compensation for affiliate commissions, etc. -- with a general pining nostalgically for "how much better things were when they first joined xx years ago".

I am wondering - has the Fiverr network really deteriorated in quality that badly, or is it because of explosive growth, increased competition, and perhaps internal staffing issues that are causing the discontent? Also - does anyone really have any genuine and reputable comparison vs. Fiverr's main competitors -- are they really any better? 

As a new starter in the freelancing world, I do note that it takes a lot of effort to get noticed, develop a professional reputation, and secure business -- far more difficult and time consuming than simply being the employee of someone else's company. But -- the potential reward, potential financial and personal freedom spurs me onward with optimism.

I hope my decision to join the Fiverr network turns out to be a wise and fruitful one.

Edited by mark_sgp
  • Like 8

Fiverr is a big tech company that uses algorithms and is increasingly relying on AI and templates to run the company as leadership apparently ignores everyone around them. Right now, the biggest issue is that Fiverr is a-OK with sellers who sell AI services deceptively and without revealing it. This is allowed by the Community Standards AI Policy, which was changed in 2023 (it formerly said sellers have to disclose).

None of this is particularly new. People have been complaining about Fiverr for years. The competitors are just as bad, just in different ways. You also need to be careful with complaints, because while many are valid, many are also bad actors who knowingly broke "the rules" to the detriment of others.

None of this means you can't be successful. Just don't think you actually matter in any way, shape, or form other than as a completely disposable asset no matter how much money you make. You are replaceable and you have no real rights (because you are a contractor and the real magic of the gig economy is that companies have found a new way to work without the regulations and protection of employment law - unionization of freelancers is listed as a threat in Fiverr's financial documentation, albeit very buried in them).

There is no deterioration, just a 21st century business model which future generations will view just as we view the factories of the 19th century. 

• Like 7

I find all freelancing platform comes with pros and cons. The main thing that makes Fiverr better in my eyes is that I don't have to go looking for work, work comes and finds me. I don't want to go hunting for clients. I also like only paying a success fee (promoted gigs and seller plus fee aside).

I also think that people's Fiverr journeys tend to fall into certain categories...

• Join, no success, unhappy with Fiverr
  • Join, success, happy with Fiverr
  • Join, success, something changes (AI, new competition, bad buyer review, something else), success drops, unhappy with Fiverr
  • Join, success, more success, happy with Fiverr
  • Join, success, more success, outgrow Fiverr, move on from Fiverr (partially or completely)

Something to remember is that people are roughly 3X more likely to complain than they are to praise (that classic stat), so whilst Fiverr definitely isn't perfect, and does do things that don't always make sense to us, I think there are a lot of people that are happily just carrying on with the work. I also always go back to the belief that Fiverr is being data-led, and does want successful sellers and happy buyers. I also know that no company gets it right 100% of the time.

I also think 'everything' used to be better. Maybe I'm getting old though! Airbnb used to be better (it got expensive), takeaway delivery used to be better (it got slower), sweets/chocolate used to taste better, movies/music, lots of things! 

Anyway @mark_sgp, I always say that if you have Skills, know how to sell those skills, and learn how Fiverr works then you can be successful here. Good luck!

• Like 13

45 minutes ago, williambryan392 said:

I find all freelancing platform comes with pros and cons. The main thing that makes Fiverr better in my eyes is that I don't have to go looking for work, work comes and finds me. I don't want to go hunting for clients. I also like only paying a success fee (promoted gigs and seller plus fee aside).

I also think that people's Fiverr journeys tend to fall into certain categories...

• Join, success, something changes (AI, new competition, bad buyer review, something else), success drops, unhappy with Fiverr
  • Join, success, more success, outgrow Fiverr, move on from Fiverr (partially or completely)

Something to remember is that people are roughly 3X more likely to complain than they are to praise (that classic stat), so whilst Fiverr definitely isn't perfect, and does do things that don't always make sense to us, I think there are a lot of people that are happily just carrying on with the work. I also always go back to the belief that Fiverr is being data-led, and does want successful sellers and happy buyers. I also know that no company gets it right 100% of the time.

I also think 'everything' used to be better. Maybe I'm getting old though! Airbnb used to be better (it got expensive), takeaway delivery used to be better (it got slower), sweets/chocolate used to taste better, movies/music, lots of things! 

Anyway @mark_sgp, I always say that if you have Skills, know how to sell those skills, and learn how Fiverr works then you can be successful here. Good luck!

Thank you for your very inspirational response 🙂 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, williambryan392 said:

Haha love this! It definitely might be a sign of getting old because I feel like this too. 

But lately, it does feel like Fiverr is working against us and really trying to pitch us against each other with the new rating system. 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, mark_sgp said:

I joined Fiverr only recently, earlier this year. So far, my experiences have been overall positive. 

I do find it interesting to see similarities and contrasts among the comments posted on Fiverr forum vs. those posted by presumptively active, or formerly active, Fiverr affiliates, sellers and buyers on sites outside Fiverr.

While there are many success stories, there also seems to be an undercurrent of dissatisfaction about customer service, bad experiences with sellers/buyers, and references to obsolete systems of compensation for affiliate commissions, etc. -- with a general pining nostalgically for "how much better things were when they first joined xx years ago".

I am wondering - has the Fiverr network really deteriorated in quality that badly, or is it because of explosive growth, increased competition, and perhaps internal staffing issues that are causing the discontent? Also - does anyone really have any genuine and reputable comparison vs. Fiverr's main competitors -- are they really any better? 

As a new starter in the freelancing world, I do note that it takes a lot of effort to get noticed, develop a professional reputation, and secure business -- far more difficult and time consuming than simply being the employee of someone else's company. But -- the potential reward, potential financial and personal freedom spurs me onward with optimism.

I hope my decision to join the Fiverr network turns out to be a wise and fruitful one.

Hi @mark_sgp 👋 

Welcome to Fiverr. I'm happy to hear your experience so far has been mostly positive. 

As you can imagine, Fiverr has seen many changes since it first launched in 2010. Even so, every change is fueled by our commitment to continuously improve our marketplace for the betterment of both our sellers and buyers. Not every change is met with immediate enthusiasm, but as @williambryan392 pointed out, there are many happy sellers who quietly carry on with their work. 

Likewise, success is more than attainable for you and any new seller on our platform! In addition to ensuring you continuously deliver quality services to your buyers, I recommend you do your best to learn how Fiverr works. Here are some of my recommend resources that can help get you acclimated to the platform:

• Help Center- This hub has a wealth of information on just about any Fiverr-related topic you can think of. 
  • Seller Plus- This is a paid membership designed to help sellers boost their Fiverr careers with the help of exclusive resources and a dedicated Success Manager.
  • Fiver Learn- This is where you can find a library of educational videos created to help you sharpen your skills as a Fiverr freelancer.

Wishing you the best of luck!

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Kesha said:

Hi @mark_sgp 👋 

Welcome to Fiverr. I'm happy to hear your experience so far has been mostly positive. 

As you can imagine, Fiverr has seen many changes since it first launched in 2010. Even so, every change is fueled by our commitment to continuously improve our marketplace for the betterment of both our sellers and buyers. Not every change is met with immediate enthusiasm, but as @williambryan392 pointed out, there are many happy sellers who quietly carry on with their work. 

Likewise, success is more than attainable for you and any new seller on our platform! In addition to ensuring you continuously deliver quality services to your buyers, I recommend you do your best to learn how Fiverr works. Here are some of my recommend resources that can help get you acclimated to the platform:

• Help Center- This hub has a wealth of information on just about any Fiverr-related topic you can think of. 
  • Seller Plus- This is a paid membership designed to help sellers boost their Fiverr careers with the help of exclusive resources and a dedicated Success Manager.
  • Fiver Learn- This is where you can find a library of educational videos created to help you sharpen your skills as a Fiverr freelancer.

Wishing you the best of luck!

Thanks, Kesha! I will be using those references quite extensively 😉 

• Like 4

Hi, it's me, the commentphant in the room.

The last two resources are paid, Mark. One of them (Seller Plus) just went through a 100% price increase. I'm one of the people cancelling, since I was offered a "locked in" early bird price of $19 until I canceled. At the beginning of this month, Fiverr decided to "align their prices" so that I, along with 200 other sellers, would now have to pay $40/mo. That's an extra $4,000 a month, maximum.

Also, since you are an affiliate, I have a question: it seems to me that Learn was removed from the program. Am I missing something, or is it actually removed - if yes, do you know why?

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 3:24 PM, emmaki said:

Hi, it's me, the commentphant in the room.

The last two resources are paid, Mark. One of them (Seller Plus) just went through a 100% price increase. I'm one of the people cancelling, since I was offered a "locked in" early bird price of $19 until I canceled. At the beginning of this month, Fiverr decided to "align their prices" so that I, along with 200 other sellers, would now have to pay $40/mo. That's an extra $4,000 a month, maximum.

Also, since you are an affiliate, I have a question: it seems to me that Learn was removed from the program. Am I missing something, or is it actually removed - if yes, do you know why?

Hi -

Thank you for sharing your insights.

Regarding the affiliate program, my current affiliate link promotes marketplace gigs, Fiverr Pro and Logo Maker.  The current registration report also lists "FiverrCPA". There has been some change since I joined a few months ago; some of my original registrations were direct downline subaffiliates, and others were for Fiverr Hybrid.  I do vaguely remember Fiverr Learn being part of the program -- and now it does not seem to be available in the affiliate option context.

Regarding commissions, the earnings report does not always specifically state what service was purchased, it only tells me commission earned on a specific date and says "Bonus 1st FTB". It also gives me the country of the buyer.  

Edited by mark_sgp
  • Like 3