License Fees

fredwaring

Question

I have been using Fiverr for a long time and recently have been seeing license fees on the work of voiceover artists. There are non-commercial and commercial rates. I have asked a couple of the voiceover artists I use about the license fees.  When I get rights for music, I have a blanket license with ASCAP, BMI and SESAC, the Federally mandated agencies allowed to collect royalties in the United States.  But the license fees for the Fiver gigs go directly to the voiceover artist and it seems that the cost is arbitrarily set by the person doing the gig.

How can I know what kind of license I am required to have for a post that will go on social media and how is this monitored? And how much am I obligated to pay when there is no standard of license fees on Fiverr?  I pay the gig cost and I give a tip, but some of these license fees are more than the actual gig.  I think there needs to be some clarity from Fiverr on the legal obligations of someone buying a gig and some clarity on how much can be charged.

• Like 5
  • Up 1

1 answer to this question

2 hours ago, fredwaring said:

I have been using Fiverr for a long time and recently have been seeing license fees on the work of voiceover artists. There are non-commercial and commercial rates. I have asked a couple of the voiceover artists I use about the license fees.  When I get rights for music, I have a blanket license with ASCAP, BMI and SESAC, the Federally mandated agencies allowed to collect royalties in the United States.  But the license fees for the Fiver gigs go directly to the voiceover artist and it seems that the cost is arbitrarily set by the person doing the gig.

How can I know what kind of license I am required to have for a post that will go on social media and how is this monitored? And how much am I obligated to pay when there is no standard of license fees on Fiverr?  I pay the gig cost and I give a tip, but some of these license fees are more than the actual gig.  I think there needs to be some clarity from Fiverr on the legal obligations of someone buying a gig and some clarity on how much can be charged.

Contact Fiverr support team

• Like 4