How do I set a price by word count?

madeline_walz

Question

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I'm trying to create a proofreading gig and would like to charge by word count. I've found other sellers that did it this way (see attachments for examples). However, I'm not sure how they did it. There aren't three packages. Instead, you just type in your word count and it shows you the price it'll be. How do I do something like this? Do I just turn off the three packages option and set up only one? Every proofreading gig I've looked at allows the buyer to enter a word count. So do I just put the minimum/base cost word count in the "words included" field and the buyer will be able to enter their own word count once the gig is made?

Screenshot 2023-07-30 152915.jpg

Screenshot 2023-07-30 153937.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

10 answers to this question

Yes, I selected Writing and Translations as the category and Proofreading as the subcategory. My gig will only be proofreading, though, not other types of editing. I can do three packages if I have to, but do you know if the examples in my original post are from turning off the multiple packages option?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, madeline_walz said:

I can do three packages if I have to, but do you know if the examples in my original post are from turning off the multiple packages option?

Can you turn on the multiple package option on your end (I don't want to delete my 3 packages)?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Okay, I created a "mock" gig to see how it looks with offering only one package:

image.thumb.png.cc190afb31366998e4c542d9b4f85f53.png

So it should still let you select the word count and price. I'm not sure why yours looks different. I wonder if it's related to seller level... 🤔

Let me check some of the gigs of newbie proofreaders.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vickieito said:

Okay, I created a "mock" gig to see how it looks with offering only one package:

So it should still let you select the word count and price. I'm not sure why yours looks different. I wonder if it's related to seller level... 🤔

Let me check some of the gigs of newbie proofreaders.

@vickieito To clarify, I can make three packages if I want to. That's the default setting for me. I also have an option to turn off the packages and make a gig with only one, like what is shown in the image you shared. It seems likely that what these people are doing is just offering only one gig, like you suggested. I guess I'll have to try it.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, madeline_walz said:

I guess I'll have to try it.

You are already charging by the word count. If you set 1000 words as the word count at $5, when someone writes 5000 words, the price automatically shifts to $25. So Fiverr takes your price into account. The downside: your deadline will be the same, no matter if people do 1000, 4000 or 9000 word orders.

Edited by donnovan86
  • Like 10
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

You are already charging by the word count. If you set 1000 words as the word count at $5, when someone writes 5000 words, the price automatically shifts to $25. So Fiverr takes your price into account. The downside: your deadline will be the same, no matter if people do 1000, 4000 or 9000 word orders.

Wouldn't it be nice if the word count issue was one of the things that will be fixed within the next two weeks?

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, vickieito said:

within the next two weeks

Well in 2 weeks we will have reviews to canceled orders.

We will also see the Pro revamp.

I don't know of any improvements to the writing section (even if I think we desperately need control over the word counts and other similar things). We will have to wait and see, I guess. Unless you know something I don't, in which case do share 😄

• Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

That's true. I think the examples from my original post must've been people who chose to do just one package instead of three. I have seen other people's gigs that seem to be the exact same rate by word count in all three packages, but with different minimum word counts. I don't remember the deadlines of those, but it might be worth having three packages just to give myself more time on higher word counts. Or I could do the single package and set a longer deadline.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1