Unusual hobbies, considering the profession. Your hobbies?

manuelmarino

Everyone here seems to have such interesting hobbies, and I can't help but feel a little jealous. As a developer, my time is often consumed by designing and coding. While I wouldn't necessarily label them as hobbies, I have four areas of interest that I use as tools to navigate different aspects and situations in my life.

1. Coding and complex programming: This tops my list. When I find myself in self-doubt or need to generate new and creative ideas, I dive into creating random functions or applications and exploring new technologies.

2. Culinary adventures: When I crave a sense of luxury and happiness, I turn to cooking, baking, and experimenting with dishes. It's a delightful way for me to unwind and enjoy the process of creating something delicious.

3. Musical connections and introspection: During my school days, I attended music lessons and learned to play the piano, cajon, ukulele, and flute. Since then, I've felt a strong connection with musical instruments. Whenever I'm working and need to refocus, I grab my cajon or ukulele (they're easy to pick up and play) and let the music transport me to a more productive state of mind. Moreover, when I feel down or overly excited, I create a cosy ambience, dim the lights, get some wine, and play the piano or flute to find solace and a sense of balance.

4. Thrilling bike rides: One of the most exciting aspects of my life is riding my BMW F900XR motorbike. Living in a rural coastal area with access to a 300 km long highway, I embark on exhilarating rides. As I manoeuvre through the traffic, the air rushing past me, I experience clarity and tranquillity. It's a thrilling way to clear my mind, awaken my senses, and embrace the joy of the journey.

Additionally, I find solace and inspiration in reading books. I am an avid reader, particularly enjoying poetry, philosophical works, and books on life coaching. They help me expand my perspectives, contemplate life's intricacies, and strategize my goals effectively.

So, these are the interests that shape my life. While I hesitate to call them mere hobbies, they serve as essential tools for me, providing fulfilment, creativity, and personal growth. 😃

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hmmm. Hobbies. In random order (this week, because they do change as I get bored with them and try something else until I get bored again) photography (sometimes macro, sometimes not), writing (duh - no-brainer since I'm a content writer. I've self-published 17 titles, mostly how-to stuff), I walk, lift weights and climb stairs like a madman (these three are part of my recovery plan as I continue to fight congestive heart failure), road trips, window shopping (mostly because I'm a starving writer I can't afford the stuff I want), reading, hanging out (not loitering, but darned close), sleeping, going to church, you know, all the usual stuff normal people do. I also volunteer, which I take seriously and I am an elected member of my community's Town Council (second 4-year term) I also take this seriously as I believe it is important to give back to your community. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1