Digital Nomad

strategist_ceo

So I'm not fully a nomad at the time (I have a permanent base - abroad) but technically I'm more an expat (depends a lot on the interpretation.) Anyway, so for me, packing up and leaving everything behind wasn't hard, I've done it many times. Last year WAS the first time when writing was my only job so it was a bit hard.

Stockholm doesn't really seem like a very popular destination for digital nomads (where I was before, near Malmö mostly had people who worked remote) but there's plenty of apps like meet-ups and facebook/etc. groups that plan meetings (even between locals and travellers, or just foreigners, etc. There are quite a few co-working spaces as well (I'm hoping to get into one next year, it's absolutely luxurious!) which would probably also help socialize. 

The challanges for me personally come from the country itself - right now, the weather is.... beautiful, yes, but it gets dark really early (think 3PM or so it's almost dark) so going out to meet new people is a bit harder.

However, there do seem to be lots of oppurtunities, if you do have the guts to brave the cold/wind! 

At the moment, I'm not sure I'll go back to being a nomad (for personal reasons) but I am planning a few longer trips (maybe South Korea next year?) where I'd be changed countries for a month or so, but a lot of it depend on what the future brings for me.

Edited by katakatica
  • Like 12

Yep, that's me pretty much, i enjoy it. Currently back in Tbilisii, Georgia, but done a few other places this year. Going to UK for Christmas, then Canary islands I think, then maybe South Africa, not sure where after that. I love the lifestyle, just have to careful with the time difference. It can be tricky to find local communities, each place is a bit different with different styles, some are better than others, but as @katakatica it is out there, you just have to find it. Where would you like to go @strategist_ceo? I assume you're thinking of doing it?

• Like 9
  • Up 3

I am traveling between four countries, and the extensive travel is starting to wear me down; I am thinking about settling down in a different country on a more permanent basis.

The hardest part for me is obtaining the visa as I don't want to do visa runs. I am also wondering how well I can deal with loneliness in a place that will allow me to have a livable lifestyle while also saving money.

• Like 9

Just now, strategist_ceo said:

The hardest part for me is obtaining the visa as I don't want to do visa runs. I am also wondering how well I can deal with loneliness in a place that will allow me to have a livable lifestyle while also saving money.

That's the hardest part! Maybe you can settle in the 'cheapest' country for a while and go for something like a co-living situation? I know that it's getting more popular (worked out for me for a bit) and it helped with socializing. However, don't expect it to be...amazing all the time! 

• Like 6
  • Up 4

It will be best for me to stay in Malaysia but I do not like the lifestyle here. It is possible to live a good lifestyle at $700 a month as a single person, but there are some local Malaysians who attack me when I do not speak their language, Malay.

Does anyone have any recommendations on countries that allow extended stays without problems with visas? I heard that the Philippines does not have long-term visas that are suitable for nomads.

It will be fun to live in a nomad village. 

Edited by strategist_ceo
  • Like 8