Deciding Who to Choose For a Art Gig

godsonleague

Hi. so I have been trying to look for an artist to make me a original character and I was having some trouble. I gave my requirements and everyone was super kind. The problem was that I didn't know the artist's drawing style/art style. It is really hard to get a feel of their art style just from their previous gigs or something like that. I was wondering what I should do? I know that the artist's time is extremely valuable and I don't want to waste their time. I was wondering if I should refund if I really don't like their style? 

• Like 6
  • Up 1

15 minutes ago, godsonleague said:

I was wondering if I should refund if I really don't like their style? 

Unfortunately you can not refund if you just don’t like their style. The same as you can’t come to a grocery store, bite a croissant and then say that you didn’t like the style it was prepared and you want a refund 😉 

You need to vet your sellers upfront. usually the images that are displayed after the third image in the gig are the real work that seller delivered and that’s how most likely your order will look like. 
But it’s always best to send examples/photos/images of what you want for your style to a seller and ask them if it is something in their style 

• Like 8
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 7

Message the artist first. Collect references, examples as much as possible.  Preferably with description and style, examples moodboard in pdf format to save time. Check out the artist's portfolio and gig examples. 

What I meant by moodboard. To get most out of the order you have to work on your side little bit. 🤙

Real-Time Character Design, Creation, and Presentation Breakdown | Marmoset

• Like 9
  • Up 2

When i encounter such situations, my clients are given a collage of my previous works if they are uncertain about my gallery images. 

If the client still has no clue if my style fits do their needs, i dont know what else to do to be honest. Works are here, taste is yours. You should be able to decide.

Art stuff is tricky. You may not be happy with the results and you have the right to be unhappy to be honest. But if the delivered work matches what was promised or referenced, artist is in the right spot. However if there is a quality difference between the gallery and the work delivered, thats questionable.

• Like 5
  • Up 3