Option to use completed orders as demo - etiquette?

mikaylaeastman

Question

I recently completed my first order and was given the option to use the document as a sample on my gig page. I figure it would be a good idea to have examples to show prospective buyers what to expect from me. Generally, should sellers ask buyer's permission to use their orders. Especially if its editing the work of the buyer?

• Like 6
  • Up 3

2 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, mikaylaeastman said:

I recently completed my first order and was given the option to use the document as a sample on my gig page. I figure it would be a good idea to have examples to show prospective buyers what to expect from me. Generally, should sellers ask buyer's permission to use their orders. Especially if its editing the work of the buyer?

The buyer gets the option to allow or not allow the seller to use the completed work in their live portfolio on Fiverr. If the buyer opts in to allow this, you're ok to use it (and it will show up automatically in your live portfolio when they leave a review). So that's up to the buyer. 

If you're ever unsure: ask. 

I once had a buyer who stated clearly at the beginning of the order that the project was confidential and could not be published.

Due to this, I gave them a friendly reminder about this feature, so they could make sure not to allow showing the work in my live portfolio when reviewing the order.

They were new to Fiverr and appreciated my due diligence. 

If you want to use the project outside of the automatic, live portfolio, you should always ask the buyer and make sure to get their permission. 

Hope this helps!

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 8

12 minutes ago, smashradio said:

The buyer gets the option to allow or not allow the seller to use the completed work in their live portfolio on Fiverr. If the buyer opts in to allow this, you're ok to use it (and it will show up automatically in your live portfolio when they leave a review). So that's up to the buyer. 

If you're ever unsure: ask. 

I once had a buyer who stated clearly at the beginning of the order that the project was confidential and could not be published.

Due to this, I gave them a friendly reminder about this feature, so they could make sure not to allow showing the work in my live portfolio when reviewing the order.

They were new to Fiverr and appreciated my due diligence. 

If you want to use the project outside of the automatic, live portfolio, you should always ask the buyer and make sure to get their permission. 

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much! I wasn't aware that buyers could opt in or opt out of this feature.

Asking does seem to be the most prudent move generally.

I really appreciate the answer, very thorough!

• Like 9