From part-time freelancer to full-time freelancer?

assisstantx

Hello everyone. I hope you are all doing pretty well.
This is a question I often find myself stumbling upon. Realistically-speaking, what does it take to facilitate your transition from a part-time freelancer to a full-time one. Is it a matter of experience? Time? Reputation on the platform? Online marketing effectiveness? Or, are there other factors that am not aware of?
One last thing, is it even safe to rely on freelancing for a full-time career?
I will appreciate it if those who are currently making a full-time career as freelancers can speak in this regard.
Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Hello everyone. I hope you are all doing pretty well.

This is a question I often find myself stumbling upon. Realistically-speaking, what does it take to facilitate your transition from a part-time freelancer to a full-time one. Is it a matter of experience? Time? Reputation on the platform? Online marketing effectiveness? Or, are there other factors that am not aware of?

One last thing, is it even safe to rely on freelancing for a full-time career?

I will appreciate it if those who are currently making a full-time career as freelancers can speak in this regard.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

During my time on the platform, I realized that experienced sellers never used the concept of full time freelencer. I think the reason for this is that if you do not have at least 3 companies or agencies that you have agreed on a project basis, you can never spend a month without risk.

Reputation on the platform? Online marketing effectiveness?

I think these two questions complement each other and answer themselves. Those with reputation are reaching a larger ad network, and that is a reason for them to become ¨full-time freelencer¨.

During my time on the platform, I realized that experienced sellers never used the concept of full time freelencer. I think the reason for this is that if you do not have at least 3 companies or agencies that you have agreed on a project basis, you can never spend a month without risk.

Reputation on the platform? Online marketing effectiveness?

I think these two questions complement each other and answer themselves. Those with reputation are reaching a larger ad network, and that is a reason for them to become ¨full-time freelencer¨.

you can never spend a month without risk.

AT LEAST 3 AGENCIES! It’s THAT hard, Ha!

I am a full-time freelancer.

I’ve been working from home in this capacity since 2016.

I have a freelance company where I have several contracts in place and receive Fiverr work and non-Fiverr work.

Fiverr currently provides me with 30% of my monthly income.

What I did was use Fiverr as a part-time source of income along with other streams of freelance income to where I am able to do this full-time.

I started in 2014.

I also have 40+ years of experience in Media including 12 years as an owner/publisher of a local newspaper.

So freelancing was an easy transition for me and I already had some contacts.

Yes, it takes time.

Yes, I have the odd month where I wonder why I’ve done this.

However, the freedom to write when I want (I usually work half-days Monday to Saturday) and choose my hours is worth far more than having a 9-5 where I have to go to an office.

I am a full-time freelancer.

I’ve been working from home in this capacity since 2016.

I have a freelance company where I have several contracts in place and receive Fiverr work and non-Fiverr work.

Fiverr currently provides me with 30% of my monthly income.

What I did was use Fiverr as a part-time source of income along with other streams of freelance income to where I am able to do this full-time.

I started in 2014.

I also have 40+ years of experience in Media including 12 years as an owner/publisher of a local newspaper.

So freelancing was an easy transition for me and I already had some contacts.

Yes, it takes time.

Yes, I have the odd month where I wonder why I’ve done this.

However, the freedom to write when I want (I usually work half-days Monday to Saturday) and choose my hours is worth far more than having a 9-5 where I have to go to an office.

Thanks. This was helpful!

Thanks. This was helpful!

It depends on what you want or are willing to go through. If you are, let’s say, an student and have lots of free time (outside your studying hours) and don’t have bills you need to pay directly (your parents or any other relative pays them for you, you live rent free, or in your parents house, you don’t have children, etc.) you can make a decent living to cover some expenses, considering you can control the work flow (which tends to be low unless you keep looking for job offers constantly, and sometimes people don’t have time for that, even when it’s what gets you the work) and schedule, which doesn’t happen with a 9-5 job.

If you’re looking for extra money besides your job, it also works wonderfully.

But if you prefer stability and to be certain that every month you will have enough money to your expenses, may be going full-time freelancing isn’t for you. There is no warranty. You can do your best, looking for the best opportunities, sending customers your services and still have a bad month in terms of earnings. Half of the freelancing work is “chasing” customers, which can be tiring specially if you’re desperate to earn something and don’t have enough time to do it.

I wouldn’t go full-time freelance. 2020 made me do it temporarily, I enjoyed it, but then realized that the amount of money I was getting was really dependant in things that were out of my control: work availability, internet connection, even my emotional state at the moment. So I got hired in a afternoon shift work where they pay me every week and I’m doing better using freelancing as an extra source of income, at least I got to buy more things than what I did in 2020.

Archived