ATTENTION! Phishing Attack On Fiverr

sammalothra

Thanks for sharing all of this info! I was a victim of this phishing attack, but thank god customer support blocked the ability to withdraw revenue on my account right before the hacker could take anything!! When in doubt, call customer support immediately and report the suspicious user, whether it be shortened links, or any other sort of scam, don’t fall for it! Take it as a lesson learnt and don’t fall for this!

I think fiverr needs to come up with better ways to report abuse/ scams/ phishing attempt rather then bunching them all together in “report” and marking message as spam. I don’t know if any one even looks at those reports.

Recently I had guy ask me create a platform like fiverr and I had read some where about such scam and I reported the conversation but for my surprise the account still operates.

• 4 months later...

I can assure you this phishing scam is alive and well as of today, August 1st 2014! I am new enough that I totally fell for it and have been paying the price for many hours. He stole $350 from my account (thankfully I had just moved a withdrawal within a few days) by removing my PayPal account and attaching his. I have no idea where this will end up but I assume between Fiverr and PayPal my money will be returned as they both have such strict policies in favor of the victim.

I am far from naive, but this was terribly convincing and I was in the middle of a large project without paying much attention. I had also recently received internal communication from Fiverr regarding my participation with gig meta tags so I figured this was another piece of correspondence. It just didn’t register and hindsight is 20/20!

The most concerning part is that this user/scam was sighted months ago and reported yet here it is still going strong. Anyone else see this scam creeping up again?

I follow a simple rule. Never ever click links before researching the source. If its a link to a familiar site instead of clicking it i type it from memory in the address bar.

Using browser bookmark links would also be ok but if you got that route you will just end up with to many bookmarks and eventually it will be a pain finding anything.

• 1 month later...

Archived