New sellers asking for help - what to do instead

lisamusser

New Sellers, Take Note!! Bless this whole thread !!! I wish so many more people would realize that freelance doesn’t mean shortcut to easy money. It’s not true!- it takes work and dedication.

You are 100% responsible for the adverse outcome if you follow advice from spammy blogs and YouTube videos where they tell you how to subvert the system or get sales/clients through unethical practices. I’m here to tell you, it doesn’t pay half as well in the long term.

Yes, I really agree with you. Freelance means you got to work however with flexible time. Rather than do the spam, exaggerate your selling and hack the system, I prefer to showcase my skill, flourish in time and gain connection while do the job.

As a buyer, I really think that when sellers try to tailor or pay attention to fit the buyer’s needs or desires, that’s the way to have a higher chance of getting a sale. Sometimes I get communication or see gigs that aren’t applicable to my needs or is just a flat out copy and paste generic response that doesn’t mention how their service/gig fits my need. I know it sounds a bit trivial or dull… trust me…it’s like if you order a drink at a restaurant the waiter walks away and hands you a random Sprite or Coke without asking you. Communication and tailoring. Tailoring and communication, I personally think.

• 4 weeks later...

Writing something for those the least likely to get off their backsides to read it, might be a very noble effort, but it’s high on the futile scale I’m afraid.

It’s not lost on all, but those who “get it” already know.

Seems there must be somewhere which gives the following advice to most new users:

• Do no research
  • Never search the forums
  • Don’t read the terms
  • Effort, nah, don’t put any of that in
  • Never read the support pages / blogs
  • Post 10 minutes after publishing your gig to ask “why me not sell / how 2 make sell”
  • Make sure your forum read time and topics viewed figures are really low
  • Stay online 29 hours a day, 8 days a week, 43 days a month, 736 days a year
  • Post your gig to social media so your mum, gran and best mate’s dog can all see, even though they already know…
  • Send 11.4 buyer requests a day
  • If at first you don’t succeed, create multiple accounts and repeat all the same errors on them too

So much bad advice on the forums which Fiverr needs to clear out, but they keep all the stupid posts, their priorities are confusing: they’ll suspend people for a week for the most petty, trivial things; like calling a thief a thief, or telling someone they actually need some talent to freelance, but deleting bad advice is too much admin for them.

There may well be tens of thousands of gigs in some categories, but frankly, that just means there’s a lot of poor gigs with zero effort, they’ll never get anywhere and give up soon.

The one line in all the above which stands out most to me is this:

Take responsibility for your own success

Too tight, I could not agree more but hasn’t “personal responsibility” recently been called out as racist by the planet’s insane media?

Shows the state of the entire world, not just here in this corner of the web.

As @english_voice says “some people are just lazy”

I’d go so far as to say some are plain bone-idle, with a sense of entitlement, and a number of victim complexes.

It’s a marathon, once people understand that they’ll stop passing out after sprinting away from the start line, then maybe some might make it to the end…

Very good information. Best of luck too 👍

Archived