What do you think about the FIVERR explosion?

claudioa

I saw this article: http://blog.fiverr.com/fiverr-community-milestone-two-million-reasons-to-celebrate-iamfiverr/

It celebrates the 2.000.000 milestone of gig’s offered. What I find crazy is that only 5 months after the number almost doubled. Now we have 3.600.000 gigs offered. To grow from 1 million to 2 millions it took 1 year, now we see a growth of 1.600.000 only in FIVE months!

What do you think about this explosion?

Does it means that our market is bigger or that we have more competition? or both?

Is it a good or bad thing?

Is the online market the future for jobs?

I do not think online marketing may be considered the future of the full time jobs since, it is just a part of the global economy. Who will produce our meals if we all do online marketing? There is however never ending expansion of the online making money possibilities, hence we see that never ending grow in all niches. Fiverr becomes popular every single day just because it is wonderful website, providing lots of opportunities for almost all kind of skills. This pick will not last forever of course. I consider that growth a good think because it produce quality.

To be honest, I go around from time to time looking for ‘competitors’. By competitors, I don’t necessarily mean people I’d like to dethrone, but people who offer the same services as I do, and manage to have a higher amount of orders. My reason may be simply justified because of my wish to learn more about a certain seller and see what aspects of my gigs I can improve.

During one of my searches a while back, I have noticed a great increase in people offering article writing services. Sure, why would that be a problem to me? I am not the only one capable of writing in the entire world. Well, it turns out to be a problem, because I sometimes get to see people posting gigs, in terrible English in which they advertise work which is supposedly 100% free of any grammar mistakes and not copied from the internet. Yet, from their description, I, as a seller who does not look at the bigger picture only fail to understand how it is possible for them to have a decent amount of orders and great feedback when offering a gig which would be an instant ‘click away’ for me.

It seems that the amount of newbies on here, trying to earn money by writing a lot, but not minding the quality of the work is growing. I personally feel bad knowing that I spend a lot more time on a project in order to ensure quality and consistence, while others just go around, getting orders while failing to choose quality over quantity.

I have given an example in my niche, but I am sure that this applies to many others as well. Why would I want 10 bad quality videos, in a broken language for $10 when I can get one video free of any errors which is sure to attract many more for the same amount of money? It might be my obsession, but am I the only one? I don’t think so…

Anyways, we can look at the brighter side as well! There are more customers on the site, which in turn, should bring some to out gigs as well!

I’m not trying to bash anyone. I am just stating my point of view in regards to the issue that the thread starter has brought up.

It depends on how you perceive it. Some may say that it’s a negative aspect of fiverr because the more gigs offered on the site, the more competition, which can lead to reduced sales for certain sellers, but on the bright side, there are more people offering their unique abilities, and so little competition can mean a good thing too. However, I do agree with madmoo, I’m also worried that fiverr will become an even larger corporation, resulting in less care towards the sellers, just like YouTube, one big corporation that doesn’t care about the people who got them to where they are!

Guest matt_garry

I am frustrated about how much work I put into updating my videos just so I can show up higher on the pages. After working on here for so long I have learned that if I don’t update all my gigs on a weekly basis they will be lost in the wood work because literally 10 people a day are making a custom music gig. But they don’t have any samples, no video, a horrible description and yet they deserve to be higher up on my page then me uhh why?

im just doing the math here

takes me 2 hours to update each video I have 4 gigs. sometimes I have to update the video twice because the moderators might not see it as an improvement so they don’t move it up. so lets say I have to redo 1 video twice so that is 10 hours a week I put in so that I can have a chance to earn enough to barely live. all because some guy from india who is 14 thinks he can be a producer.

kind of insane now that I think about it I put in a full day and then some just so I might make money lol im going to go cry now ahah

Reply to @madmoo: Exactly… How do you expect to have X sales when you just created your account a few hours ago and failed to put any work in making your gig look decent?

I’ve been on the site for somewhere around 9-10 months and got my first sale around 8 months ago. Well, I can’t help but mention how I started clapping excitedly, happy of my accomplishment. Orders did come from time to time, but it also took long in order for me to advertise, contact buyers and check if my gigs really matched the market.

Sure, my number of orders at the moment is alright, but it could always be better if it wasn’t for the ones who keep on posting gigs, thinking that Fiverr is a ‘Get rich fast’ method.

Archived