Ouch! Buyer Fraud & Attempt for Payment Outside of Fiverr

I love how they are suggesting to contact and deal with the buyer directly, when they strictly forbid communication off the platform.

Fiverr should get their trust and safety team on it for a takedown. These chargebacks are ridiculous.

@leahemme - First of all - I LOVE your voice.

Secondly, Thanks for posting! I am working with CS on how to respond with their approved next steps.

I had the same reaction when I received the CS advisement. I was just private messaged that it is likely the former buyer used a credit card and not PayPal since it’s been 90 days. I’ll provide updates here as to what CS says what I can and should do next.

Hi Friends - I’m back with an update.

Kindly let me preface this – should you find yourself in the same predicament PLEASE contact CS before you take matters into your own hands. Be sure to obtain Fiverr’s blessing as to next steps as one would not want to suffer any repercussions from not doing so first!

CS advised today that “since the buyer is no longer active on Fiverr, you are welcome to contact them.” The screen shot is below.

image.thumb.png.0dfc50c1c8e6400c0fd304cfba297e28.png

My CPA asked for the Fiverr statement to write it off as a loss. She was surprised to learn that they would not supply it. Even if it was just the order number and no user or account information. So there’s that to keep in mind – again, your situation may be different – and hopefully you won’t have to deal with this at all.

No word back from the former buyer email. Will keep you posted.

Hi Friends - I’m back with an update.

Kindly let me preface this – should you find yourself in the same predicament PLEASE contact CS before you take matters into your own hands. Be sure to obtain Fiverr’s blessing as to next steps as one would not want to suffer any repercussions from not doing so first!

CS advised today that “since the buyer is no longer active on Fiverr, you are welcome to contact them.” The screen shot is below.

My CPA asked for the Fiverr statement to write it off as a loss. She was surprised to learn that they would not supply it. Even if it was just the order number and no user or account information. So there’s that to keep in mind – again, your situation may be different – and hopefully you won’t have to deal with this at all.

No word back from the former buyer email. Will keep you posted.

I suppose they don’t care since the buyer has been removed and all the risk is on your end. I think your advice to others to wait for CS before doing anything is good advice. I’ve never had an issue just using Excel spreadsheets to prove profit and loss for tax purposes, but I don’t use a CPA so that might be different. Best of luck!

I suppose they don’t care since the buyer has been removed and all the risk is on your end. I think your advice to others to wait for CS before doing anything is good advice. I’ve never had an issue just using Excel spreadsheets to prove profit and loss for tax purposes, but I don’t use a CPA so that might be different. Best of luck!

@fonthaunt - Thanks for sharing your experiences and advice.

I hope this thread is helpful to those who may encounter the same issue.

I’m scared again 👀

@deivys20071 - While I am not privy to how often this fraud has taken place, I would like to say to try not to worry.

There is possibility in all things, including to find the proper safeguards and solutions. I would assume that Fiverr is reporting this to the credit card companies or credit bureaus so that a history is kept on those who choose to break the law.

I’ll keep this post updated to share what I learn. Be well!

When and only after you receive the go ahead from Fiverr CS, here are some helpful links for learning more about fraud, how to fight it and how to report it. If you feel that a former buyer in a transaction has committed fraud against you, you have some options to pursue the issue outside of Fiverr, after you receive CS’s permission in writing to do so.

• 3 years later...

My buyer didn’t read my report and completely came in to me saying SCAM and harassing me. He cancelled my order and said the report was no use. I have already got 6 five star reviews on my work previously. However, he was wasting my time and getting on my nerves. Thus I cancelled the order because I was very angry at him and cancelled the order. But now I think I was the one who was scammed. He immediately blocked me.

• 2 months later...

Archived