Put a limit on your revisions!

Guest hanashivoice

Guest hanashivoice

My revision policy used to state that I will provide as many revisions needed (as long as they pay a small fee after the 1st revision). But I’m now at the point of banging my head on my desk repeatedly because of one particular buyer who I shall call Derp.

Derp ordered my video editing gig for the original price of $5. After delivery, Derp requests modification. Of course at this point I have no problem making changes. I send in the revision a day later. Then Derp says “This is amazing, thank you so much. Now change all the text.” (paraphrasing)

Before I send in the next revision I straight up ask if there was anything else that needed to be changed. (This was 7 days ago. Keep that in mind.) After not receiving a straight answer, I send in yet another revision. Then Derp says I left out text that wasn’t in the revision notes. Then today, after sending in one more revision, Derp says "Oh, one more thing I nearly forgot…"

I want to make all of my clients happy but at this point I’m just so frustrated with the lack of competence this particular person seems to have. As a result, I have now put a limit on the amount of revisions I make. Even though I charge a little extra after the first revision, it’s just not worth the irritation.

About once a month I get a mod-crazy client. “please capitalize the letter L in the third sentence of the fourth paragraph” level of WTF. I do it, since it’s just quicker to do it. I don’t have any limits in place, but I have had one person (after about 8 mods) say that they’ll “leave the review as a compromise” until the copy works. OK then. 30 day deadline passed already, and as I said to that client “what compromise?”

These kind of clients don’t come all that often in my experience but they do like to make their presence known. Got some coming up… “how’s the work coming along?” – fine, but you’re in a queue. Buy the extra fast gig order if it’s urgent. Otherwise, I’m on top of it and you’re in the queue. Simple.

Archived