Sellers Beware of Opportunist Buyers ‹(•¿•)›

Guest hireava

Guest hireava

Fiverr provides a wonderful platform, where sellers and buyers can negotiate gigs in good faith. However, with such a positive place we find the “opportunist”. Sellers as you consider the amazing journey to one day becoming a super seller, you must be aware of the opportunists that will emerge and want the whole world for a five dollar gig.

Recently, I was contacted by one of those opportunists.

This buyer wanted me to complete four different tasks for five bucks:

1. Create an excel spreadsheet, database

2. Research local luxury real state leads

3. Research local charity and nonprofit events

4. Give business advice on how to increase growth

The amazing part was this individual didn't have the courtesy to contact me before placing its order. As I began to read the order description, I said to myself,” This has to be a practical joke.”Unfortunately, it was not a joke. I didn’t want to become confrontational; instead I just send them a mutual cancellation. The buyer became demanding and pushy. The buyer insists that I complete the ordered tasks.

How was your experience with an opportunist buyer?

How do you feel about the way I handled the situation?

What would you have done differently?

It might help a bit if you rewrite your gig description and specify what exactly does the buyer get for $5. The way it is now, you list the tasks you can handle, and you state that you’ll be a VA for 2 hours; however, that doesn’t give the buyers any idea about the amount of work you can do in these 2 hours.

I’m not a VA myself, so I can’t give a more specific advice; perhaps something like “for $5, I will do ONE of the following…”?

You are not alone, I met some of them. So when I met a great buyer I felt really blessed.

Sometimes it doesn’t matter how you explain properly in your gig description or not, even you already put it very detail, in the end it’s just about the intention of the buyer. I did the same when there’s an opportunistic buyer,mutual cancellation,that’s it. Because no matter how you try to please them they will never respect you. I provide design service here, one of my hurdles is when buyer ask back and forth (unlimited) revision while it already explain how many they can get for $5, that’s when I need to set the limit and remind them that I don’t do more than what I explained on my gig description. If in the end they leave me with a negative review, i really hope they got their karma… we don’t make million here.

Guest hireava

@titinochka: I agree. The services we are providing are already way below the market value. Where else a buyer can go, but on here to have skillful work done at a minimum price.

Archived