Is it normal for customers to ask for my email address when buying?

seanronsotito

Question

I recently opened a translation gig and this gentleman was the first to reach out to me and place an order. However, I was taken aback when he asked for my email address for payment reasons. He sent me the attached pic and I have no idea if this is legitimate or not. His account was recent (October 2024) and it says he is from the UK. This is a first for me and I have no idea what to do. I suggested that he can just pay me using PayPal and he said to report me. Is this actually a legitimate order or a scam?

image_2024-10-06_195217027.png

1 answer to this question

Hey there @seanronsotito 

Please know that requesting or providing email addresses, third party messaging applications, telephone numbers or any other personal contact details to communicate outside of Fiverr in order to circumvent or abuse the Fiverr messaging system or Fiverr platform is not permitted. Any necessary exchange of personal information required to continue a service may be exchanged within the Order Page. Take a moment to get familiar with Fiverr's Terms of Service. Any violation of Fiverr’s Terms may be a cause for permanent suspension of account.

Please report this user to our Customer Support immediately. Send an email to support@fiverr.com with all the screenshots you have.

We strongly recommend not opening suspicious links, QR codes, or files from senders you have not contacted directly. Please be aware that Fiverr will never contact you via inbox to request payments, passwords, or private information.

Thank you.