Delivery and Revisions for 6 Book Cover Project (Major Revisions Already Used)

Hi Fiverr Community,

I'm hoping to get some guidance on a project where I'm designing 6 book covers for a client.

Project Context:

• I've already sent drafts of two book covers to the client in the Fiverr chat for feedback.
  • The client requested revisions that resulted in significant design changes for both covers (essentially whole new designs).
  • These revisions used up the standard revisions included in my gig package.
  • To continue revisions, the client purchased two additional revisions.

My Questions:

1. Delivery Method: Moving forward, would it be better to:
    • Deliver the remaining four covers one by one in chat for feedback?
    • Send all six covers at once in delivery for a final review?
  2. Revision Pool: Do the two additional revisions apply to:
    • Each individual cover?
    • A total pool usable across all six covers?

Current Challenge:

I'm unsure if sending the remaining covers one by one allows for minor tweaks within the remaining revisions, or if the client might expect significant changes again.

Any insights from experienced sellers on handling similar situations, particularly with major revisions already used, would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Up 1

4 minutes ago, namrata_dutta said:

Hi Fiverr Community,

I'm hoping to get some guidance on a project where I'm designing 6 book covers for a client.

Project Context:

• I've already sent drafts of two book covers to the client in the Fiverr chat for feedback.
  • The client requested revisions that resulted in significant design changes for both covers (essentially whole new designs).

My Questions:

• Each individual cover?

Current Challenge:

I'm unsure if sending the remaining covers one by one allows for minor tweaks within the remaining revisions, or if the client might expect significant changes again.

Any insights from experienced sellers on handling similar situations, particularly with major revisions already used, would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance!

I am suggesting you connect with @priyank_mod, He can give a proper solution about your question and i think he  will be able to help you.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ghoshradhe said:

I am suggesting you connect with @priyank_mod, He can give a proper solution about your question and i think he  will be able to help you.

Thanks, I really appreciate you pointing me towards priyank_mod! As a new seller, I'm still navigating the best ways to get advice on the platform. Is it generally okay to directly message other sellers with questions like this, or is the community forum the preferred approach?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, namrata_dutta said:

Project Context:

Going by the story so far - it is quite possible that buyer would request multiple revisions or even complete re-design for the remaining 4 covers too (provided he approves new designs of the first two covers). 

Revisions in general are an opaque thing because even if a buyer has used the number of revisions you have specified in your gig - they can always request more revisions for the work you have sent on chat or after the final delivery of the order too. Fiverr has not yet incorporated or considered the feature to quantify the revisions and scales are kinda tilted in buyer's favour always. If we contest their need for revisions - they can always cancel the order or leave 'bad private feedback' after order completion.  

What you can do to ensure that the order gets completed and buyer is happy with the final result:

• Design all 4 covers together, send them on chat and request consolidated feedback on each of them. 
  • Based on the feedback, whether the changes are reasonable or complete re-design - you can ask him to buy additional revisions. This would ensure that you have clarity on how the project is moving forward and that deliverables are 'reasonably' in your control. 
  • Once all the revisions are done - deliver everything as 'final delivery' to complete the order.

Since this is your first order - cancellations or bad private feedback can have calamitous impact on your profile. So try to navigate the conversation professionally and focus on creating the book covers that the buyer is 'completely happy' with. You will need a lot of public ratings to grow your profile. 

But in future:

Use MILESTONES feature with custom offer for such projects where each part of deliverable can be a unique separate milestone and you get paid after completing each milestone. 

Edited by priyank_mod
  • Like 1
  • Up 1

1 hour ago, namrata_dutta said:

Hi Fiverr Community,

Project Context:

My Questions:

• Each individual cover?

Current Challenge:

Thanks in advance!

Generally, revisions are for the whole order. 6 covers at once is a lot though, so it might have been best to do a trial project (I do them too, always paid of course, just small) to make sure that you're on the same page. 

If the client had issues with the first drafts for the first two books, it's likely that they'll want a revision with the rest as well - so this is definitely a bit of a tricky situation. I'd probably send through (not delivered yet) the drafts together and then work on them one by one in this situation. When I write more than one story for a client, I usually write them one by one (even under the same older) but I'll ensure that revisions do cover all stories (since it'd be weird to only get them for half of the order/etc.

I - personally - mostly count revisions once an order has been deliver. Full redos in-order are different (I tend to send an extra for those), but small tweaks can be fine. I think what you might want to do is ensure that your flow works well for your clients - send drafts of the rough ideas first if needed just to ensure that you won't need to redo everything (I'm not sure how that works with cover art, but it can be helpful!)

PS.: Your Wordpad gig (where you comment on people's works) might be against the rules. I'd check the TOS here and there (but generally buying engagement is against the rules on most platforms.) Reading/reviewing is fine of course (but buying comments/etc isn't) so it'd be best for you to check the rules out. 

Edited by katakatica
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, priyank_mod said:

Going by the story so far - it is quite possible that buyer would request multiple revisions or even complete re-design for the remaining 4 covers too (provided he approves new designs of the first two covers). 

Revisions in general are an opaque thing because even if a buyer has used the number of revisions you have specified in your gig - they can always request more revisions for the work you have sent on chat or after the final delivery of the order too. Fiverr has not yet incorporated or considered the feature to quantify the revisions and scales are kinda tilted in buyer's favour always. If we contest their need for revisions - they can always cancel the order or leave 'bad private feedback' after order completion.  

What you can do to ensure that the order gets completed and buyer is happy with the final result:

• Design all 4 covers together, send them on chat and request consolidated feedback on each of them. 
  • Based on the feedback, whether the changes are reasonable or complete re-design - you can ask him to buy additional revisions. This would ensure that you have clarity on how the project is moving forward and that deliverables are 'reasonably' in your control. 
  • Once all the revisions are done - deliver everything as 'final delivery' to complete the order.

Since this is your first order - cancellations or bad private feedback can have calamitous impact on your profile. So try to navigate the conversation professionally and focus on creating the book covers that the buyer is 'completely happy' with. You will need a lot of public ratings to grow your profile. 

But in future:

Use MILESTONES feature with custom offer for such projects where each part of deliverable can be a unique separate milestone and you get paid after completing each milestone. 

Thank you so much for your detailed and helpful response regarding revisions on my 6-book cover project!

The advice you provided, especially regarding designing all covers together and clarifying revision needs upfront, is incredibly valuable.

I feel much more confident now about managing the revision process and ensuring the project goes smoothly.

Thanks again for your support!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, katakatica said:

Generally, revisions are for the whole order. 6 covers at once is a lot though, so it might have been best to do a trial project (I do them too, always paid of course, just small) to make sure that you're on the same page. 

If the client had issues with the first drafts for the first two books, it's likely that they'll want a revision with the rest as well - so this is definitely a bit of a tricky situation. I'd probably send through (not delivered yet) the drafts together and then work on them one by one in this situation. When I write more than one story for a client, I usually write them one by one (even under the same older) but I'll ensure that revisions do cover all stories (since it'd be weird to only get them for half of the order/etc.

I - personally - mostly count revisions once an order has been deliver. Full redos in-order are different (I tend to send an extra for those), but small tweaks can be fine. I think what you might want to do is ensure that your flow works well for your clients - send drafts of the rough ideas first if needed just to ensure that you won't need to redo everything (I'm not sure how that works with cover art, but it can be helpful!)

PS.: Your Wordpad gig (where you comment on people's works) might be against the rules. I'd check the TOS here and there (but generally buying engagement is against the rules on most platforms.) Reading/reviewing is fine of course (but buying comments/etc isn't) so it'd be best for you to check the rules out. 

Thanks so much for your thoughtful response and additional insights into revisions!

Regarding the Wattpad Gig:

Thank you for the heads-up! I'll definitely double-check the Fiverr TOS to ensure my Wordpad gig offering complies with their guidelines. Your clarification about buying engagement being against the rules is helpful. I'll adjust my gig accordingly to focus on reviewing and providing feedback, not soliciting comments.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and advice. It's invaluable for me as a new seller on the platform.

Secondo me hai fatto qualche errore. Le milestone sono utili, ma se il cliente richiede infinite revisioni finché non è soddisfatto, ogni milestone sarà una battaglia. Qui voglio criticare Fiverr "il cliente ha sempre ragione" OK, e il venditore? Questa cosa delle revisioni infinite, nonostante il numero di revisioni scritte, è una presa in giro a spese dei venditori. Ho avuto pochissimi acquisti di "revisioni extra", non perché io sia bravo, ma perché i clienti abusano di questo strumento. Dopo essermi sfogato, torniamo all'argomento principale.

Quindi con i nuovi clienti, cerca prima di creare un rapporto di fiducia, cioè inizia con un ordine (nel tuo caso avrei iniziato con una copertina) così il cliente si fiderà di più del tuo lavoro. Pensare a 6 copertine nella stessa consegna è la cosa più sbagliata che tu possa fare. Diciamo che il danno è fatto, quindi massima cordialità, fai domande per capire cosa gli piace e cosa non gli piace di ciò che hai consegnato.

NON perdere tempo a cercare di ottenere giustizia contro questo sistema di revisione sbagliato. Se è una persona onesta, capirà che stai facendo del lavoro extra e ti ripagherà per il lavoro svolto. Buona fortuna.

Edited by alessio90
  • Like 1