Commercial rights charging way

alexdelodelo

Question

4 answers to this question

Broadcast rights are different to commercial rights. 

Commercial rights are added for those wanting to profit from your work, whether that is by selling something containing your work, or from revenue due to sales due to your work being used to advertise their product.

Broadcast rights gives the right to broadcast the media on radio or TV etc. 

Someone might only need one of these, some people might need both.

The way you charge them is up to you. I personally charge by the work, not by words. So for example, for voice over, I charge a base rate of X amount per 100 words for the recording, and the commercial rights are a flat fee that is the same whether the work is 100 words or 1000 words. It is up to your own choice. I would recommend browsing around and doing your own research to assess what works for you.

• Like 6

Thank you for the answer. I was watching something called A VO’s Journey on YouTube and that guy is saying we normally should charge commercial rights for every 100 words ( or 70 or how many you have set the gig for) . The other confusing thing is if a client needs broadcast rights , do I charge commercial rights as well ? 

• Like 6

Different VO's go about it differently. I have been a full time voice actress since 2018, and I prefer to charge per project. It is up to you how you do it. There is no law or rule to follow, it's what is comfortable for you.

I personally do not charge commercial rights if a client has already purchased broadcast rights. I see broadcast rights as the upgraded option, which includes commercial usage as part o the broadcasting package. 

• Like 5