Buyers asking for NDA, with personal information, Customer Support not helpful

abrawhite430

Hi all,

Not quite sure what to do. My buyer (who I have not started an order with), after a lot of back and forth, asked me if I would sign an NDA before they shared details with me that would allow me to give an accurate quote. They didn't have one made in English so I sent them my template, which would not require any exchange of personal information. They sent me back a different NDA, with loads of their personal information, including ID numbers, and requesting mine. 

After checking the forums on here, it seemed like a red flag to me and I definitely didn't want to violate TOS. I contacted CS to get some advice. First, they told me fiverr doesn't have an NDA template but that I could use my own and sent me a broken forum link. I clarified that I'm not asking about NDAs generally, but that I am concerned about the request for National IDs, etc. They then came back and said personal information can be shared for NDAs. 

So, I guess it's fine from a TOS perspective, but all the guides I've seen say not to share numbers like that, and I don't even have an active gig. Is this a red flag that would make you cease communication? Or would you refuse to give that info, but still attempt to work with this buyer?

It is up to you.  This is your business to run.  NDA's are a common part of doing business.  You just have to weigh all the variables and see how you feel about it.  But if you don't feel comfortable giving personal information, then don't.  I haven't done one with my Fiverr business, but have signed many NDA's in my corporate life.  Some are more restrictive than others, and some do ask for some personal information.  After all, how would they enforce the NDA if they didn't know how to contact you?  With that being said, there is some information I would never put on an NDA, such as my SSN. 

1 hour ago, cs_evans said:

With that being said, there is some information I would never put on an NDA, such as my SSN. 

That's exactly what I'm saying. That's what they are essentially asking for with a National ID (not all countries use SSN). I've signed many NDAs in my career as well, but would not put an SSN or equivelant, as you said. I didn't mention having a problem with contact info (as long as it's ok with CS).

Plus this is online, and profiles are anonymous to other users. I have no way to verify that this user is who they are claiming to be as I would with other business interactions. 

So with that said, assuming you'd sign an NDA on fiverr, how would you respond if they asked for your SSN?

Archived