The importance of being alone, and why you should sign off – now! (Or later)

smashradio

I enjoy being around my family. I love being around my friends. And I love my work

But I also like to be by myself. It provides me with an opportunity to reflect, to consider, to question my decisions and goals. It helps me stay grounded with who I am. 

When you're with friends, family, or work, you tend to adopt their way of thinking. You're not 100% you.

It's easy to lose your sense of your individuality.

I find it incredibly important to be alone with yourself, in your own skin. 

It's an excellent way of taking stock. It can even be a bit cathartic to face your personality, choices, mistakes, bad traits...

To identify what sucks about you, and then work to solve it – if you so desire

But to do that, you need to focus on yourself and your own happiness from time to time. 

Far too often, we sacrifice our own happiness for the sake of someone or something else. 

It can also be helpful to take stock of the people in your life. Are they beneficial to you? Or a burden? Is your work detrimental to your happiness? You can't love or help everyone. 

It's like being on a plane when it's going down: 

It says to put on your own mask before you help others. If you don't, you'll pass out before you can help anyone - including yourself. 

So, being alone can be really good for you! 

But we live in a digital world...

If you, being alone, means checking social media, checking the Fiverr app, checking your e-mail – then you're not really alone. 

You're now caring about what others think, about their engagement. It's about them, not you

And so, it's easy to get stuck in the sweet, sweet trap of Fiverr's Number One Stupid Advice of all time: Stay Online 24/7. (Especially if you believe such nonsense will get you success!)

Just..No. 

Take a step back. 

Constantly engaging with everything but yourself is a bit like praying:

You're now leaving the responsibility of who you are to someone or something else. 

Not to step on anyone's toes, but we've seen how well praying works in the forum these days. 

Take a break from work. From Fiverr. From social media.

Go be alone.

And leave your smartphone, tablet, friends, family and work behind for a while. To just be... You. 

PS. I'm a hopeless workaholic, currently working my ass off to get done with my orders before this weekend, so I can practice what I preach. 

Archived