My client keep on adding new instructions, eventually cancelled order

hwriterhub

Hi members,

Do you get tricky clients!

I had this client who kept on adding new instructions each single day after I delivered a draft to him.

At some point, I felt that the client was not sure of what he needed. Eventually we cancelled the order. But I believe this affected my gig adversely. To make it even better or worse, the client came back happy and requested he was unfair, and he wanted to pay for the previous work we had cancelled.

I felt much better 🤑, but my gig is paining… 😌

How do you deal with such clients?.. Do you renegotiate for new price of just give in and work for extra work at the original cost just to satisfy the client.

I feel like asking for extra would ruin the relationship.

Let me hear you similar experience or even your insight on the same.

Hi members,

Do you get tricky clients!

I had this client who kept on adding new instructions each single day after I delivered a draft to him.

At some point, I felt that the client was not sure of what he needed. Eventually we cancelled the order. But I believe this affected my gig adversely. To make it even better or worse, the client came back happy and requested he was unfair, and he wanted to pay for the previous work we had cancelled.

I felt much better 🤑, but my gig is paining… 😌

How do you deal with such clients?.. Do you renegotiate for new price of just give in and work for extra work at the original cost just to satisfy the client.

Let me hear you similar experience or even your insight on the same.

If this is truly how you approach freelancing or what you believe, then you will continue to attract scammers who want to take advantage of your “kind nature”.

What you should have done when they kept completely changing their mind was, tell them that what they were asking for was not in the original scope of the order and then suggest that you can add a Custom Order or Extra to the existing order for the things they were asking.

I hope you do not have on your Gigs that you offer “unlimited revisions” or “100% satisfaction” or “money back guarantee”. Those will also attract this type of buyer who has no idea what they really want or ones who will see you as an easy mark to get free work.

GG

If this is truly how you approach freelancing or what you believe, then you will continue to attract scammers who want to take advantage of your “kind nature”.

What you should have done when they kept completely changing their mind was, tell them that what they were asking for was not in the original scope of the order and then suggest that you can add a Custom Order or Extra to the existing order for the things they were asking.

I hope you do not have on your Gigs that you offer “unlimited revisions” or “100% satisfaction” or “money back guarantee”. Those will also attract this type of buyer who has no idea what they really want or ones who will see you as an easy mark to get free work.

GG

No… I always set limit for revisions.

And what was that limit? Obviously, this guy had you doing a lot of revisions…

GG

3 revisions…

By the time I was done with the 3 revisions, I had cover two different topics.

I felt used…the worse part was cancelling the order since the client kept on bringing new subjects.

3 revisions…

By the time I was done with the 3 revisions, I had cover two different topics.

I felt used…the worse part was cancelling the order since the client kept on bringing new subjects.

I had cover two different topics.

That was a mistake and you should have put the brakes on and explained you would need to send a custom offer for work that was completely different from what the initial order entailed. You should feel used. But, take this as a lesson and do better next time. Do not let buyers walk all over you. Know your boundaries. There is a good thread in the forum about boundaries and how to set them with buyers. Here is a link if you want to read it:

I see a lot of advice that encourages the freelance tropes - the idea that we’re all workaholic night owls, perpetually hunched over keyboards, waiting at the beck and call of potential clients. Never log out… Always be agreeable to clients… Give free samples or mock ups… Answer right away… If you needed an experienced professional to give you permission, in plain words, here it is: it’s okay to be a human being. Never give out free work. No samples. No mockups. Period. That’s what your po…

GG

I had cover two different topics.

That was a mistake and you should have put the brakes on and explained you would need to send a custom offer for work that was completely different from what the initial order entailed. You should feel used. But, take this as a lesson and do better next time. Do not let buyers walk all over you. Know your boundaries. There is a good thread in the forum about boundaries and how to set them with buyers. Here is a link if you want to read it:

I see a lot of advice that encourages the freelance tropes - the idea that we’re all workaholic night owls, perpetually hunched over keyboards, waiting at the beck and call of potential clients. Never log out… Always be agreeable to clients… Give free samples or mock ups… Answer right away… If you needed an experienced professional to give you permission, in plain words, here it is: it’s okay to be a human being. Never give out free work. No samples. No mockups. Period. That’s what your po…

GG

Thank you so much. This is helpful.

Archived