Advice for ghostwriting

poppyr

Hi everyone. A few weeks ago I completed writing a manuscript for a buyer. He was very happy, 5* review, etc. He just got back to me saying he’d hired a beta reader and he wants me to read her feedback and make the changes she suggested.

Obviously I won’t be doing this for free, but if I were to go through the manuscript and change things (some feedback was quite detailed and will take a while to “fix”) how much would be reasonable to charge compared to what the buyer originally paid? Per word again or at a different rate since it’s rewriting, not adapting from a script like it was originally?

Thank you in advance!
Poppy

Hey Poppy,

Generally, I charge based on the wordcount or the hours that will go into it. What the buyer is basically asking for is revision/editing, so I think you should charge according to the number of hours you will put into this. Most buyers don’t realize how complicated editing can get, but the price should still be lower than what he paid initially.

How many free revisions do you offer with your manuscripts?

Hey Poppy,

Generally, I charge based on the wordcount or the hours that will go into it. What the buyer is basically asking for is revision/editing, so I think you should charge according to the number of hours you will put into this. Most buyers don’t realize how complicated editing can get, but the price should still be lower than what he paid initially.

How many free revisions do you offer with your manuscripts?

Thanks for your reply! I eventually agreed to do it for free, because he pointed out that at the time it was unlimited revisions. Lesson learned on my part (I now only offer 3). Thank you for your time and replying 😃

Archived