Indian Freelancers and GST: 2 Points

ghemachandar1

Arrey bhai, remember you are talking to Modiji’s biggest supporter on the planet? LOL…

To those following this thread, an update:

Received a mail today from G Suite prompting me to enter GSTIN. Google didn’t say it’s mandatory and it’s safe to assume it isn’t. But the mail reminded me of something else…

Remember the whole 2012 Paypal fiasco? You could not recieve payments until PAN and Purpose codes are provided? Now, with the rollout of GST, what if Paypal makes it mandatory to enter GSTIN to receive payments? Nothing to be worried about right now but something we should keep a tab on. This could potentially effect all Freelancers irrespective of Income Levels.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn! Received this e-mail from AWS today 😒

Dear Customer,

You are probably aware that as of July 1, 2017, Service Tax, VAT and certain other Cesses and Levies will be replaced with Goods and Services Tax (“GST”). To help ensure a smooth transition to GST and allow you to recover any taxes charged, receive correct tax invoices and understand where you may have obligations to undertake a ‘reverse-charge’, please review the following and take the appropriate actions before July 1, 2017.

1. Please go to your tax settings page and enter your GST number on your tax settings page here: https://console.aws.amazon.com/billing/home?#/tax/vat . As AISPL calculates taxes based on the location of linked accounts rather than payer accounts, it is important that you also enter your GST number and correct billing address on the tax settings page for all your accounts (payer and linked).

2. Please also review your address details under your Contact Information and Billing Information (see My Account). If your address is incomplete, please update your correct address and enter your applicable pincode and state abbreviation at all relevant places, as per the Indian state ISO codes which can be accessed by clicking at https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/ingstemailattachment/India+State+Codes.docx

Finally, if you make purchases on AWS Marketplace, by providing your GST number, you will not be charged IGST on purchases made via the Marketplace, which our affiliate company, AWS, Inc. must collect on behalf of the Marketplace Sellers. However, you will be required to reverse charge GST on such purchases made from AWS Marketplace which are separately invoiced by AWS Inc.

Action must be taken prior to July 1, 2017. There are no further actions if you have already provided your GST Number. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

If you feel you have received this notification in error, please review your account settings and make the necessary updates.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please email us at {truncated} if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
The AISPL Team

Amazon Internet Services Private Limited (AISPL) is a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc. Amazon.com is a registered trademark of Amazon.com, Inc.

Huh… My I need to register as firm. My Brand name is CuteVamp and when I call a CA he laugh so hard when I said my business name is Cute Vamp.

Huh… My I need to register as firm. My Brand name is CuteVamp and when I call a CA he laugh so hard when I said my business name is Cute Vamp.

Oh! 😄

In all probability, ‘Cute Vamp’ is just your Username not brandname. You needn’t register as a firm but can register with GST as proprietor under your own proper name.

More importantly, see this updated thread:

favicon.icoFiverr Forum default-apple-touch-icon.png

On GST - All the best to all Indians

Mitron, in 2 days, GST will be launched. One nation, one tax. This is the greatest tax reform undertaken by an Indian government in 70 years since independence. Things will be really messy in the initial few days we are basically changing an entire...

i want to use Cute Vamp as my business name

i have .com domain as well

if people able to run successful business on the name of Monster, HostGator, HostCats… Then why I can’t do on the name of CuteVamp

Yes, you can use it as a ‘Trade Name’ for sure, without actually registering for a firm. Your CA could advise best.

Hey!

Here is a follow-up thread by @writer99025:

Mitron, in 2 days, GST will be launched. One nation, one tax. This is the greatest tax reform undertaken by an Indian government in 70 years since independence. Things will be really messy in the initial few days we are basically changing an entire...

From what we understood, it is not necessary for Freelancers to register for GST as long as the business income is less than 20L/annum.

I think we should register for GST, We will not charge GST to the customer thru Fiverr. But we will charge GST to Offline clients and pay to the government. We can benefit in a way that we can claim GST paid for any purchase of item or service like laptop, internet service etc. In that case we will get refund.

@sanjeevchugh, yes if you are having an offline business you may consider registering for GST. But it is not required if you are simply on Fiverr and income <20L. And any benefit from Input Tax credit is likely to be overweighed by documentation/complaince overhead.

Follow up thread here:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived