Tip Jar Feature, tip if a good job is done!

I am sure it’s been suggested before, but rather than a gig independent of itself, why not provide a feature that after a gig is finished the buyer has an option to tip the seller any amount they feel the seller deserves. I am thinking of it like this.

Let’s say the person buys a Fiverr gig, afterwards they leave positive feedback. After leaving positive feedback, a notification comes up or a drop-down menu of sorts comes up asking the buyer if they really liked the work, if they would want to tip the user a little extra for their hard work.

To go a little further, maybe even something that appears underneath the particular positive feedback of the tipper saying something along the lines of, “tipped for an exceptionally good job!”

Yeah, due to a recent influx of new orders I have gotten a lot of people asking to tip me or suggesting to create an area where someone could tip me(I don’t really have a tip gig) and if that was part of the gig order experience, I feel the tip count would be exceptionally high.

This is a wonderful idea! So many of us already use a “TIP GIG”, but it would be much more efficient to have this option directly tied to the delivery of the product or service.

My question would be how much would Fiverr take from the Tip amount? Currently, they take 20% of all charges. $1 out of every $5. Would they continue to take this percentage from the tip feature? They do now, as our tip gig is set up as a stand alone gig. Or would the funds paid towards the TIP included in a gig delivery be free of fiverr fees? They probably wouldn’t go for the latter option, as the obvious exploitation would be for sellers to have buyers purchase only a $5 gig and then tip them the balance to avoid the fees. i.e. buy my $30 service for $5 - fiverr only gets $1 - and then tip me $25 so I retain the remaining $25 and keep what would be the remaining $5 fiverr fee.

Maybe the TIP option could be set up as a percentage of the original order to prevent this behavior? Say 20% of the original purchase amount would be the max. That way a basic $5 gig would be allowed a maximum tip of $1, a $20 gig would allow a $5 maximum tip. That way the full tip amount could be exempted from fiverr fees and fiverr would not need to worry about sellers trying to work the system.

The downfall of that idea, though, is that our tip gig has generated more then $25 in tips at a time for one GIG. I certainly would want my buyers to be limited on their generosity! 😉

So as I write this, my feelings are teetering. If a tip feature was implemented into the delivery of each gig, it would deter buyers from tipping through our stand along tip GIG and would potentially limit our bonus earnings…

Reply to @jive_a_five: I would generally agree with you, but at the same time… what % of people would you say actually visit your tip gig? If you had this as a reminder for all that leave positive feedback I guarantee there is a more likely chance of a tip after just receiving the order than a few days later, or even a few hours. If it popped up on each order and as madmoo has said, $1 to $2 extra would add up based on sheer volume. I suppose on the other side of the coin not everyone gets gigs bought in volume so a tip gig may be recommended for beginners, and a tip feature may be good for level 2 high volume sellers and top-rated sellers, eh?

Reply to @madmoo: Yeah, that’s my thought. Also that someone is much more likely to leave a tip immediately after leaving positive feedback, rather than after waiting a few days. Plus as you have experienced, most people simply altogether overlook it and may very well have been willing to leave a tip if they were aware that they could.

You could always encourage them to stop by your tip gig after an order is completed if they feel you did an exceptionally good job?

Guest matt_garry

I have gotten plenty of tips but never in my tip jar because people don’t know about it or rather just order from the gig they hired me on because it is easier… so that would be a great feature

• 4 weeks later...
Guest matt_garry

Reply to @freelancemm: I have recently added a link to my tip jar as I deliver complicated/ hard gigs and I have been amazed how fast it worked in a week I got 3 donations so I think they should offer this option fast so I don’t feel so bad about pressuring people to hook me up:)

Reply to @matt_garry: I could try it out, but then again I am not sure I want to dedicate a whole gig yet… especially if you saw my other thread where I am hoping they implement my other feature idea that I posted in the V2 discussions for more “long-term” private gigs for individual clients. but yeah, that’s off topic.

I’ll give it some time, I am sure Fiverr has seen a bunch of tip-related gigs and thought to themselves, “why not make a tip jar?!” so maybe it’s in the works and we just don’t know it yet…? Hopefully. haha

I would think that a tip feature would be great. I would suggest that the buyer can enter any amount at all to tip. I would like to see Fiverr not take any of that tip. But do I realistically think that Fiverr won’t take any of the tip? No. I’m sure they would still take from it. It would be nice to see that its only 10% or maybe 5% instead of the 20% they currently take off our gigs.

Archived