My first order that I received is a scam. It's actually quite a well executed scam, so read this to be warned.

exceldataman

Question

I've received a message on fiverr that looks like the following, replacing some of the text within <>:

<my username>

Suссеssfully plасеd an оrdеr.

А сonfirmatiоn will bе disрlaуed аt thе bottоm

<title of my gig>

The next message is a link which looks like the following, although I've changed all the numbers to the letter x

It takes you to a page that has copied fiverr's website, but the URL is suspicious. As scams go, it's actually quite well done, so please be warned. it looks like I'm still on fiverr but I'm not. They've also copied my gig image, which gives the site some fake credibility. There's a link on the page that looks like the following:

image.png.55f9f490eb050b14a08b4c6357876b13.png

Clicking on the 'Get funds' takes you to a page that asks to put some credit card details in, with a chat bot for help. It looks quite neatly done, but there's a couple of links for 'confidentiality' and 'conditions' that just loop back to the same page.

They're preying on new sellers who will be keen to respond quickly to their first customer, but shall be unfamiliar with the platform, perhaps thinking that it's necessary to 'validate' their payment method before the first order becomes visible, but the whole thing is a scam to get your credit card details.

It's quite frustrating. I'm new to the platform, and have set up my first gig. Then my very first experience is with someone trying to scam me. But that's the digital world we live in. So be careful out there. There's so so many scams about, and vigilance is needed at all times.

I've reported the messages to fiverr, and obviously didn't fill in any credit card details.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Insightful 1

3 answers to this question

If it were well done, they'd have it showing on your dashboard as legit. The wording is poor, and the format doesn't align with this platform. Only someone brand new here would fall for it. What Fiverr should do is have a clear warning for new sellers, or have them report to a page to be warned of this.

I sense most will know of these easy-to-spot scams, yet many will not, and it would save sellers grief. Once people have their eyes opened, they will spot these from a mile away.  If someone is not thoroughly aware of what a scam looks like, they really need to bring themselves up to speed. The internet is not friendly in this sense anymore.

Edited by amethyst_blaq
  • Like 2