Cancellation Etiquette

wanderingvoice

Question

I have a buyer who commissioned some work done. It was just a small order, about $10. After I delivered the file, he puts the order on revision. He doesn't actually want any revisions done--he just wants the rights to the file.

Things I need opinions/advice on:

1. He didn't say at the beginning of the order that he needed rights. I know it's partly my fault since I didn't ask. I ended up offering commercial rights as an Add On/Special Offer. I figured it would work the same way since all our communication was done through Fiverr.

2. By now, i's been five days since I sent that add on for commercial rights and he still hasn't given me a clear response as to how he wants to proceed. I asked him yesterday if he would like to purchase the commercial rights to the file, and that if he won't, I can cancel the order for him so he that can have his money back. No response.

3. If I do end up cancelling, would it be okay to tell him that use of the file in spite of cancelling would be illegal or something? If someone can help me word it out in a respectful way, that'd be great too :( (But if not, that's okay! I'm just trying out my luck.) 

Even though I finished the work and the buyer was content with it, I don't want to just resend the file just to 'complete' the order. Because, you know, the buyer might get mad and leave me a nasty review. And I know for a fact that he's been using Fiverr recently because I can see that he was online three hours ago.

What should I do? 

• Like 2

2 answers to this question

I am sorry to hear that. Dealing with difficult buyers can be very annoying and frustrating.

Edit your gig requirements and add something along these lines, "Do you need commercial or full broadcast rights? If your script is to promote a product, you require commercial rights. If it will be on TV, radio, you require full broadcast. If you need either commercial or full broadcast rights, please go back and add it." You may write it in your own words. I am just giving you an idea.

If you can, just wait. The buyer might respond. I once waited for a buyer to respond for two months, and the buyer did respond in the end.

I understand if you do not want negative feedback (which this buyer most probably would leave) and just want to be done with the buyer. You may request a cancellation. After the order is cancelled, you most certainly can tell the buyer not to use the voice-over for any personal or commercial purposes.

Edited by rahulkajla1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rahulkajla1 said:

I am sorry to hear that. Dealing with difficult buyers can be very annoying and frustrating.

Edit your gig requirements and add something along these lines, "Do you need commercial or full broadcast rights? If your script is to promote a product, you require commercial rights. If it will be on TV, radio, you require full broadcast. If you need either commercial or full broadcast rights, please go back and add it." You may write it in your own words. I am just giving you an idea.

If you can, just wait. The buyer might respond. I once waited for a buyer to respond for two months, and the buyer did respond in the end.

I understand if you do not want negative feedback (which this buyer most probably would leave) and just want to be done with the buyer. You may request a cancellation. After the order is cancelled, you most certainly can tell the buyer not to use the voice-over for any personal or commercial purposes.

Thank you so much for your understanding and kind advice!

• Like 2