Buyers reject orders due to their mess-ups

pghhearts

Today, I’ve had two buyers praise my work, but reject it because THEY messed up their instructions.

• One person asked me to do a job from scratch on a video because he mistyped his website URL.
  • One person asked me to write an article on one subject, then after delivery told me that he got confused about a concept and asked me to write the wrong thing.

Of course, I have to re-do both, or risk negative feedback.

So annoying! Although my services are very different from yours, this happens to me, also. Most frequently, a buyer will place an order that does not cover everything they want done. For example, my rate is $5 per 2,000 words to be edited/proofread. I see that although they’ve only purchased one $5 gig, they’ve uploaded a file containing something like 18,000 words. Then, after trying to contact them to no avail, I finally deliver the first 2,000 words of their document according to my gig specifications. Although they didn’t bother to reply to my messages, it only takes them minutes to reject the delivery with a message wanting me to finish the entire document. Nope.

Or they reject the delivery because I haven’t done something that’s clearly disclaimed in my gig description as a service I don’t even offer, like writing or rewriting. I’ve had plenty of modification requests that go like this: “Please fix. I though you were going to write more to make it better and add length.” Nope.

In all cases, I have to hold their hands and explain my services, usually more than once. I feel like if people would just take the time to read through what they’re purchasing and know what they want, a lot of these silly situations would never happen.

I have the same issue with voice over. People, usually from foreign countries, will send me bad copy. They will then ask that I correct it if I read it verbatim. If I change it on my own, they accuse me of not reading the copy verbatim. I can’t edit every script and check back and forth.

I also had the “oh, I gave you the wrong URL at the end,” issue.

This is something Fiverr could protect against, by simply putting it in the hands of the seller to “reject” gigs based on insufficient content supply. We have no leverage on this kind of stuff, so it’s not like we could screw anybody.

I’ve had the very same problem, but it being with video testimonials. It was a gig that they paid extra to expedite the order. So after I deliver the video product to them, they said something along the lines of, “that is not what I wanted.” Well, I ask for a script of bullet points to be given, for me to work with. There is no way you could mess up, of what you want me to say.

Of course I had to complete the second video, because of negative reviews.

Oh, and if a buyer purchases a gig addon such as expediting the order, they expect to be waited on hand-and-foot. They want their order to be #1 and before anyone elses.

Archived