Buyer Blackmailed Me for Extra Files and Then Cancelled the Completed Order

studiorex

So I got this buyer who wanted a particular style of graphic and a simple animation based on a reference he sent me. It was a simple boxy line drawing style but he insisted that I give him a sample so he can check if I can do the project. I made him a simple building in that style and he was happy with it and wanted to continue with the order. I told him my quote and he asked for unlimited revisions and I said “no”. Even after that, he placed the order. Halfway down the project duration, he said he needs to leave for a couple of days for surgery and wants to see an update before that. I sent him a draft/ work-in progress. He sent back a totally different set of instructions. The reference images changed, the level of detail changed. My initial quote was $150, which he had negotiated down to $125. If he had sent those new reference images when the project started, I would probably have quoted $250. However, since the order was placed and he had promised more work after that and I was a little desperate due to the Covid situation, I simply made the changes. But then he asked for more. And then more. The order was supposed to end in 2 weeks (and I had made my first delivery on time) but he kept asking for more and more. Revisions after revisions. He kept on asking for more details. In one message he would say “good work”, in the next he would question my designing skills. Anyways, after 6 weeks he finally got satisfied and said “Good work. No more revisions.” And he asked for all the source files (plus more). He accepted the delivery and I provided him the source files. The order was complete. Just as I did, he started berating me. Then he asked for more work (and he didn’t want to pay for that). I told him it was not in the project scope so I can’t do it for free. He had intentionally held the review back and told me that if I didn’t do more work, he would give me a bad review. I still told him that I would not do any more work for him and it’s not professional for him to talk like that. The next two messages he sent me- he totally berated my work and gave me one final warning to deliver the extra work. Following an advice I read on the forum, I blocked that guy and contacted Fiverr Support.
Just today, I got a message that Fiverr CS cancelled the order and refunded the amount. So now, I worked for 6 weeks for no money, got totally harassed/blackmailed and he got to leave a review (which would probably be negative- I haven’t reviewed him yet so his review isn’t yet published. I am waiting for CS to reply to me.) The buyer had like 4 reviews and one of the other guys said the same thing about him. So, I don’t understand what logic CS put behind the cancellation. I am a seller, but I also buy on Fiverr from time to time. If they back their buyers more than their sellers, then why not put that into perspective. And if they cancel orders like this, would they earn anything either?
I don’t see any justice here. Can anyone tell me what should I do?

Thanks for reading this.

A few thoughts…

The moment a buyer shows signs of being abusive - you stop work and you write a short message to the buyer explaining why their action is abusive. You tell them that if they persist in making unreasonable demands that you will report them to customer service, and that you’re happy to continue under the terms of the original agreement only.

If you have evidence that the buyer threatened you with blackmail then you need to alert customer support. However what you must not do is send them a long message like your original post here. You need to be really concise.

“I am asking you to review your decision. You can see that I delivered the job within the scope of the gig description. The buyer threatened me with blackmail (link to the actual wording) and persistently requested work outside the original agreement. Despite the actions of the buyer, you sided with them. Can you please review your decision, which I am sure on closer inspection you will rule was wrong.”

My example is a little too brief - but I’m trying to help you see that it is much better and more powerful to use fewer words. Good luck.

A few thoughts…

The moment a buyer shows signs of being abusive - you stop work and you write a short message to the buyer explaining why their action is abusive. You tell them that if they persist in making unreasonable demands that you will report them to customer service, and that you’re happy to continue under the terms of the original agreement only.

If you have evidence that the buyer threatened you with blackmail then you need to alert customer support. However what you must not do is send them a long message like your original post here. You need to be really concise.

“I am asking you to review your decision. You can see that I delivered the job within the scope of the gig description. The buyer threatened me with blackmail (link to the actual wording) and persistently requested work outside the original agreement. Despite the actions of the buyer, you sided with them. Can you please review your decision, which I am sure on closer inspection you will rule was wrong.”

My example is a little too brief - but I’m trying to help you see that it is much better and more powerful to use fewer words. Good luck.

Thanks.

I would admit this message went too long. Sorry about that. This is the first time something like this has happened with me and I am a little rattled. Although I framed a concise message for the CS and sent them the screenshots highlighting the chats where the buyer says the work is looking good and accepts the delivery (which means he got what he wants from the project) and the part where he implies he would leave a bad review if I don’t send him the extra work files.

Thanks.

I would admit this message went too long. Sorry about that. This is the first time something like this has happened with me and I am a little rattled. Although I framed a concise message for the CS and sent them the screenshots highlighting the chats where the buyer says the work is looking good and accepts the delivery (which means he got what he wants from the project) and the part where he implies he would leave a bad review if I don’t send him the extra work files.

You have nothing to apologise for. What has happened to you is appalling and you have my sympathy.

However, time and time again in the forum, we see people with very good cases (like yours) lose their argument through not being concise.

Archived